Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE: Passing parameters between SIP Responses and Request

aalejo
Level 5
Level 5

Dear Community

It is possible to pass parameters between sip responses and requests on same transaction: For example a redirected call comes in (SIP Request) and i would like to pass redirection number to the Response (SIP response) on this transaction.

Thanks!

15 Replies 15

Likely this can be done with a SIP profile. If you provide a little more details on what exactly you want to achieve, with the SIP dialogue that you want to modify and the specifics on what you’d want to do, it’s easier for us to help you out with this.

Response Signature

Hey Roger

For example, if a CUBEs get a Redirection Number (on a SIP Diversion header) on an SIP INVITE , i would like to send it back on a 183/200 SIP Response on a SIP PAI header.

Use SIP-profiles in combination with a SIP-copylist.
Besides dozens of forum posts about SIP message manipulation (which you would have found, if you had done a search on your own already), here you find everyting you need:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/voi-cube-overview.html

Hey b.winter

Thank you for your answer!

Copy-list are to modified SAME messages when it pass trough router as part of router Back to back functionality. In this example i want to modify different messages BUT still part of the same SIP transaction. For Example, router receives an Invite and forward that INVITE to another SIP agent, then it receives a 183 response and forward that response to the device that originate that INVITE. The Initial INVITE and the ending 183 is part of the same SIP Transition but they are not the same message. Then you can not use copy-list on all messages on the same Transaction only for the messages that pass triugh the router.

I am wrong here?

This is a great question, my suggestion would be that you test it out as very likely what you are asking about is a slightly narrow corner use case that isn’t that common. So likely it’s not many that could answer this for you. That said, I think that you’re wrong about this, you can absolutely use a copy-list to modify a different field that the source of the copy. The difference as I read it in your comment is to do it in another message in the same dialogue. That part is the unknown that it’s best if you where to test or if you share the whole SIP dialogue as I wrote in my first response then we can test it out ourselves in the SIP profile test tool.

Response Signature

Yes, you are wrong.
With a copy-list, you can copy something from an incoming message and use it as a variable in the next outgoing message.
The tricky part here is always the thing with the "next outgoing message".

But back you your orig. question:
Why do you want to send the number back in a different header, to where it came from? What are you trying to achieve?

b.winter.

Your are looking into a message that goes into one leg and gets replicated into an outgoing dial-peer: that's what copy-list are for. In this case the requests (INVITEs) goes into an inbound dial-peer but the responses (183/200) for that INVITE  uses the SAME inbound dial-peer because they are part of the same SIP transaction.

Is this a question or a statement? What are you trying to point out?

Where do you have the info from, that copy-lists are only for the scenario of different call legs?
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/copy_sip_headers.html
I have never configured a scenario, which @aalejo tries to achieve, because I don't see a case for it, but the CUBE book says the following:

"To copy content from an incoming header that a device receives to an outgoing header, configure a SIP copylist for that header and apply it to an incoming dial peer. Configure a SIP profile to copy the incoming header to a user-defined variable and apply it to an outgoing header."

It talks about incoming and outgoing headers, and not about incoming and outgoing call legs / dial-peers.
The outgoing header could be in a message of the same call leg or not.

b.winter

Lets simplify:

Imagine you wan to do the following on the CUBE: When a router receive a SIP Invite with a diversion header with on value, on the 183 progress you send PAI with the same diversion header.

Don't worry about how it can be use.

Instead of arguing with someone who tries to help you maybe it would be more productive if you were to actually try to do it as suggested and see what happens. Do you have any actual evidence that it would not work with a copy in a SIP profile?

Response Signature

Hi Roger.Kallberg

I am not arguing: trying understand the logic behind his idea. i do have use copy-list and sip translation profiles on several scenarios.

Has any solution being provided or only "you can copy-list and sip translation profiles" to the question @ hand? 

It’s semantics IMHO. In my opinion you’re arguing, you can see it as you’d like, it’s after all a free world. I hope that you get the help you seek. I’ll be dropping off this post as I don’t appreciate your tone and verbiage.

Response Signature

Dear Sr

I have posted a very specific question and i was looking for something more specific than use copy-list and sip translation profiles (that i have use on several occasions). Is this not the forum for that?

Anyway, have a nice day and not hard feelings here

You don't need to "simplify" it for me, I already understood it from your orig. post, what you want to do.

The only thing I don't understand is the why, but as you say, I don't need to worry about that.
But sometimes, if someone else understands the why, they maybe give other ideas to solve the problem.

And still, the answer is "use copy-list and sip-profiles" to copy values of an incoming header to an outgoing header.
And if you have already done a lot with copy-lists and profiles (as written in your reply to Roger), it should be easy for you to configure it.

What else do you need to hear from someone in the forum? Should someone give you the config for it?
Personally, I don't understand, what you need now ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: