cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM CentOS end of support

m.tocquet
Level 1
Level 1

CUCM R14 is installed on CentOS 7 which is end of maintenance for a long time.

What will be the new OS and for which version ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I can understand, but like already written: The CUCM OS is not the "normal" CentOS.
CentOS is just the base and Cisco customized it. Therefore, the support/maintenance dates of CentOS are not applicable. That's what you should tell the customer.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

b.winter
VIP
VIP

There will be no new OS version, unless a new one comes with one of the CUCM upgrades.
But you just can't upgrade the OS alone.

I agree, my question is to know which CUCM version will be with this new OS and which one ? R15 ?

This is a question, which cannot be answered.
CUCM 15 isn't out yet and no documentation about it too (at least I didn't find something).

But what is the intention of your questions?
Cisco just uses CentOS as a base OS, but it is not the original OS anymore, that you can download. Any end of x notifications of CentOS have nothing to the with the CUCM OS.

I do recall hearing something about this at either Cisco Live 2022 or it could have been a session in CCP, Cisco Customer Connection Program, but I can’t remember what they specifically said. All I do remember is that there will be a new OS from version 15, but for the life of me I can’t recall what it will be. If it was in CCP it would be under NDA, so even if it could be found there we would not be allowed to use that in a public community nor in communication with any customers.

Response Signature

Just heard that the replacement OS is called Alta.  I found out because our Cisco liason is trying to get on our calendar to "discuss timelines", which I've never had happen with any other release of CUCM.  That tells me an upgrade to version 15 is going to be very complicated.  Its easy to go from Redhat to CentOS.  Its not really easy to go from CentOS to anything else.

m.tocquet
Level 1
Level 1

Some one my customers are annoyed because CentOS 7 is out of maintenance

I can understand, but like already written: The CUCM OS is not the "normal" CentOS.
CentOS is just the base and Cisco customized it. Therefore, the support/maintenance dates of CentOS are not applicable. That's what you should tell the customer.

This particular part in the presentation from Cisco Live touches on the new OS.

IMG_4256.jpeg

Response Signature

Doug Johnstone
Level 4
Level 4

CentOS 7 is under support until 2024 so there is no direct rush if your using CUCM v12.5 or v14 but V15 will be out shortly and using a new linux base software.

About half year ago you wrote that 'V15 will be out shortly'.
Do you have any idea about a concrete date ?

The software should be available in November but not sure of exact date at the moment. Hopefully it will be sooner than later.

Still not got an exact date but been told that software guides for v15 will be available online from end of November so software should be available at same time.

Alzahrani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

They talk about it in cisco live: 

On-Demand Session Library - Cisco Live On-Demand - Cisco

The Evolution of Unified Communications Manager – BRKCOL-2095

As understood from the live session, the client who has CallManager version 14.X needs to be ready for the mandatory migration to CallManager's new release version  15.
And this is because CallManager version 14 is built based on the Redhat contos 7 which will be out of support soon at the end of 2024.