cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM migration from 11.0 to 14

jaheshkhan
Level 4
Level 4

What is the best way to migrate from 11.0 to 14.

Since there was no existing contract we can only build new cluster and migrate the data from cucm 11 cluster to new cucm 14 cluster..

what all things to consider in this case?

do we need to use new IP for new cucm 14 cluster?

in this case can we backup data from CUCM 11 and restore to NEW CUCM 14 cluster? Doing so we will get all our phones another configuration data to new cluster.

is this possible?

for the phones to get register to new cluster what we need to do? I think we will face certificate issue ? we have 600 phones .. how we can overcome this issue as well?

16 Replies 16

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mandatory reading regardless of what upgrade path you choose, all for target version 

A) Upgrade and migration guide
B) Release Notes 
C) Compatibility matrix (depending on product might be a standalone doc, or within any of the other docs I mention) 
D) README from ova
E) HW/ESXi compatibility 

After reading all of the above, you'll have all the information to plan the upgrade. 

The new option, Fresh Install with Data Import, is also available on 14, along with PCD migration.

in this case can we backup data from CUCM 11 and restore to NEW CUCM 14 cluster? Doing so we will get all our phones another configuration data to new cluster.

NO, you need the exact same version, this is explained in the DRS guide, which I strongly suggest you also review.

Whether you need to worry about ITL or not, is up to YOUR path choice and specifics.

There's documentation on how to migrate phones between clusters that you also want to review if your path would cause the ITL to change.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I would strongly advice you to upgrade instead of building a new cluster in parallel.

If you where to do that PCD would be your best friend in this as it can handle the migration for you. Doing a backup and restore will not work as you'll have to restore on the same version as the backup was taken from and the host name and IP must be the same.

If you where to build a new cluster you'd have to read up on how to handle phone migration as they would need to trust the new cluster by the fact that the system uses what is know by Security By Default. There are plenty of material on the topic. Just search for it and I'm sure you'll find the information needed.

Response Signature

we have new 2 servers BE7000M5 and M3 not support..

PCD migration is your  best Choice. 

Response Signature

what all things to consider in this case?

Refer Guides JAVA mentioned.

do we need to use new IP for new cucm 14 cluster?

You dont need a new IP. I always prefer to go with PCD for such scenarios( make sure the migrations path is supported by PCD). PCD support Migrations with New IP's. 

Migrate to CUCM 14 using any of the below Option.

• PCD Migrations( Preferred)
  • Fresh install using exported  data 
  • Backup restore then upgrade to target version.

is this possible?

You can go with Fresh install with Data export Option. Means, you export the data from old cluster.  keep this data in a SFTP server and use this data for installing CUCM 14.

for the phones to get register to new cluster what we need to do? I think we will face certificate issue ? we have 600 phones .. how we can overcome this issue as well?

With PCD you never face such issues.If you worry about certificates you can make use

•  
  • Before switch over using Third party tools like Unifiedfx you can delete the CTL/ITL from  the phones 
  • Bulk Certificate Management

Response Signature

nithin,

So If im using PCD for migration, then there wont be any certificate issue for IP phone re registration  right?

PCD will take care of that as well right?

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

@jaheshkhan wrote:

Since there was no existing contract we can only build new cluster and migrate the data from cucm 11 cluster to new cucm 14 cluster..

Whether you have a contract or no is only relevant to how you manage to get your new upgraded licences.  That doesn't make any difference to the technical decisions about upgrade path.  For example you could do an in-place upgrade and license it with newly purchased 14.x licences.  Equally if you had a contract there would be nothing stopping you using the contract upgrade licences on a newly built cluster (so long as you shut down the old 11.x cluster).

So I suggest determine the best upgrade or migration path based on your practical requirements. And if you're not clear how you will deal with licensing then we can help with that as well.

thanks.. Even we think about in place upgrade. but issue is whether version 14 supports ESXi 5.5 or not.. Existing cluster is running on C220 M3. both C220 M3 and version 14 will support up to 6.7. let me brief what I understand if opted for in-place upgrade.

1. upgrade C220 M3 firmware.

2. upgrade ESXi from 5.5 to 6.7. 

let esxi run in evaluation mode.we dont have any license for this 

3. Using the PCD from new BE7000 execute in-place upgrade.

4. Then move the VMs old M3 machine to new M5 machine.

Is this ok?  If there is any issue let me know.
My concern is that will the hardware M3 support for in place upgrade or not.

Also, M3 is quite old and running for years now. we are worried if we go for firmware and esxi upgrade whether we will face any kind of hardware issue while having a restart. 

I have less knowledge about how to move VMs from M3 to M5 without storage vmotion. how to do that?

Without Vmotion you can move the VM by shutting it down, then take a copy of everything from the virtual machine folder.  Copy that to the new host, then in the Vmware client find the folder and "Add to Inventory".  We've done this a few times, for example when a company was moving to a new data centre, or once when everything was build and configured on the bench, then the company found they couldn't import the hardware so had to buy locally.  In that case we shipped the VM files on a USB external drive.

However if you're moving to new hardware and upgrading, then maybe PCD is the way to go.  My point is that contract or lack of contract wouldn't be the deciding factor.

"if you're moving to new hardware and upgrading, then maybe PCD is the way to go.  My point is that contract or lack of contract wouldn't be the deciding factor."

we already purchased new BE7000H M5.  You mentioned moving to new hardware and upgrade.  Do you mean to copy the VMs(shutting down VM copy to new hardware) as mentioned to new M5 hardware. Then using PCD, do in-place upgrade. Is that what you are mentioning here?

Other option is PCD migration as nitin mentioned here. What I want to know here is that whether we will be facing any IP Phone certification issue or not.

That's more or less what I meant.  If you're upgrading in place, whether it's worth using PCD depends on how complex your cluster is.  If just two nodes for example it's not really worth setting PCD up.  

Oops.  Just remembered your on 11.0, and I was thinking 11.5.  I don't think a direct upgrade 11.0 to 14.0 is supported, meaning you have to do a PCD migration.  Check the release notes and upgrade guide.

PCD comes along with the BE, you just need to configure the IP. 

The best part is you can schedule the migrations. 

Response Signature

Install PCD on your new server, discover the old cluster.  schedule the migrate task. Migrate CUCM and IM from your OLD m3  to the new M5 server. 

Make sure you need  read all  Guides  JAVA mentioned. 

Phones will register with the new call manger. I Never faced any issues with PCD migrations. 

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: