cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM: RTMT Trace and Log central - Collect files (for Translator X): any impact on call processing?

cb12345678
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

If I go to RTMT > Trace and Log Central > Collect Files (Callmanager)   so that I can grab trace files to drag into  Translator X,  would that have any impact on regular call processing on CUCM?

I need to debug a call flow down to the message level but I don't want to affect regular call processing on the cluster!

thankyou very much!

4 Replies 4

Hi,

this basically depends on the configuration and the voulme of call processing during trace collection.

if you are enabling any specific process other than default  for log collection, make sure you disable the said process once you collect the logs. As leaving such trace enabled for a long time increases the size of the trace files and may affect the performance of the services. other than this if you call volume is not that high, there should not be an issue on collecting the logs.

if you still have any concern, then to be on a safer side you can schedule a MW for the same. and translator x has nothing to do with the performance of cucm. 

refer the below link for more on trace setting and configuration 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/service/10_0_1/admin/CUCM_BK_CDDBCDEB_00_cisco-unified-servicability-merge-100/CUCM_BK_CDDBCDEB_00_cisco-unified-servicability-merge-100_chapter_0100.html

Regards,

-Do rate helpful posts.

I've never had a problem with it in 15 years of using CUCM and related products, and generally only being around if there is something to fix.

Typically CUCMs are sized with plenty of spare processing capacity so that TAC and you aren't constantly battling performance issues. 

If you know your CUCMs are running high CPU and disk activity constantly, worry about it. If not, don't... 

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you need to trace a particular call you can collect trace for only that call duration. You may check cdr for call duration and specify time duration for trace collection accordingly. Collecting traces for a long duration from a node with high call processing activity should be avoided as it can spike the CPU. You can also setup scheduled trace collection on rtmt for a time of the day with less call activity.

Manish

Md Hasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

At a basic level, you can use 'show status' from CLI or RTMT to monitor the CPU/memory load status. If CCM is having performance issue, you will most likely get RTMT alert (configurable) and will have entry in the Syslog. Most performance issues are not releated to log collection but others process hogging CPU or memory.