Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Upgrade question with SIP Profiles

BigRob
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am in the process of upgrading an older cucm 9 instance to 12.5 using PCD. now while reviewing the instruction article for upgrade to 12.5 i see this not specific for the source version being 9.x:

"Upgrades from Unified CM 9.x

Upgrades from Unified Communications Manager version 9.x to version 10.x or higher fail if you have a SIP Profile with any of the following names on version 9.x:

• Standard SIP Profile

• Standard SIP Profile For Cisco VCS

• Standard SIP Profile For TelePresence Conferencing

• Standard SIP Profile For TelePresence Endpoint

• Standard SIP Profile for Mobile Device

If you have a SIP Profile with any of these names, you need to rename or delete it before proceeding with the upgrade."

Can anyone advise how i would rename these profiles if they exists, and if they exist how to tell if they are in use and thus what else has to be done to change the names?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Are you moving CUCM to another Server ? if yes you can simply migrate in just one step using PCD.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

TechLvr
Spotlight
Spotlight

In your CUCM, go to Device > Device Settings > SIP Profile. Find/rename the SIP profiles in question. 

Note: You do not have to hit apply config or reset after renaming each sip profile because that would reset the sip trunks and the devices that use these profiles. 

So are you saying that I would rename them, but not apply them then do the upgrade to 12.5?

You can rename them and hit save, but if you hit apply or reset, that will refresh/restart your sip phones and sip trunks. You do not really have to apply/reset but if you want to, you should do that during a maintenance window. 

To add to the great answers from @TechLvr, to see if the SIP profile is used you can check dependency records. Anything not in use and determined as not needed you could remove.

Response Signature

I hope you are migrating using PCD and not upgrading in that case AFAIK  its not applicable.

You can see the Sip profiles from :-

NithinEluvathingal_0-1678979941537.png

latest versions those are the default Sip profiles which you cannot edit or delete.

NithinEluvathingal_1-1678980083278.png

Check the dependencies before deleting. 

NithinEluvathingal_2-1678981721979.png

Response Signature

Thanks for this info, while I like cucm is it pretty complicated. so i can see that i have 3 sip profiles, 2 of them list nothing under Dependency records so I should be able to rename those fine. the other profile "Standard SIP Profile" is in use by 2 trunks, 1 phone template, and 189 phones. so if I rename this what else do I have to do so these dependencies will still function correctly?

Those who has no dependency you can delete and the one which has dependent rename it and select apply config if you make changes other than sip profile name.

NithinEluvathingal_0-1678988131960.png

Are you upgrading or migrating ? I believe you will be doing a migration.

Response Signature

for cucm i will be doing an upgrade form 9 to 11, then after thats confirmed working upgrading 11 to 12.5

Are you moving CUCM to another Server ? if yes you can simply migrate in just one step using PCD.

Response Signature

There is no need to apply the configuration after you change the name. It will still operate as is. An apply is only required if there is an actual change to the configuration in the profile, the name is not apart of this criteria.

Response Signature

Yes that's correct. I thought he is making other changes too..

Response Signature

The dependency will not change just because you rename the profile, it will still be there. The actual connection in the database is not related to the name, it references the PKID of the configuration item and that stays the same.

Response Signature

thats perfect thanks.