Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPC Adjunct Licensing with Extension Mobility

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I have a CUCM 8.0 cluster which users Extension Mobility for all user phones. I now want to roll out CUPC and want to make use of adjunct licensing so that the CUPC clients only use one DLU as described below.

Understanding How Adjunct Licensing Works

With adjunct licensing, fewer device license units (DLUs) get consumed  for adjunct (secondary) devices, such as Cisco IP Communicator, Cisco  Unified Personal Communicator, and Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator,  when these applications get used with a Cisco Unified IP Phone, which  serves as the primary device.

To ensure that Cisco Unified Communications Manager treats Cisco IP  Communicator, Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, and Cisco Unified  Mobile Communicator as adjunct (secondary) devices, configure the  Primary Phone setting in the Phone Configuration window for Cisco IP  Communicator, Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, and Cisco Unified  Mobile Communicator.

As the cluster uses EM the IP phones are not associated with users. I am confused how I should set the Primary Phone setting in the CUPC configuration. In a non-EM setup I would choose the phone allocated to a user - what do I need to do when using EM?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have to select something that consumes DLUs (i.e. a physical of softphone). The concept behind adjunct licenses was to lower the cost *if* Cisco had already gotten their money for that user in hardware sales. User Device Profiles don't generate any revenue so you have to consume all three DLUs.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi James

Haven't looked at this for a while, but I would imagine that you can simply assign the user's device profile instead of a physical phone. A device profile is a virtual phone used by EM so it should work.

HTH. Barry

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have to select something that consumes DLUs (i.e. a physical of softphone). The concept behind adjunct licenses was to lower the cost *if* Cisco had already gotten their money for that user in hardware sales. User Device Profiles don't generate any revenue so you have to consume all three DLUs.