cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Migration to another CUCM Cluster

Live2 Bicycle
Level 3
Level 3

I currently have a CUCM 7.1.5 environment that has been my primary cluster for a couple years now. Due to the growth of my employer I have recently brought up two additional CUCM clusters on version 8.6.2.

I am looking for a way to migrate phone devices and user association to their devices from the 7.1.5 cluster to the 8.6.2 cluster. The phone devices have services and speed dials which adds to the complexity.

I have spent some time using the Bulk Administration export All Phone Details in CUCM 7.1.5 then trying to import the data back in to CUCM 8.6.2 but the fields do not match up. It probably took me 3 - 4 hours just to do 100 phones. I have just under 15000 phones to migrate.

I found this company that has a product to do what I am wanting but they are not responsive.

http://visionael.com/products/iptas/index.html

Does anyone know of an easier way to migrate data so I maintain users speed dials, services and end user association with their device or another company that has a product to do the migration more seamlessly?

Thanks in advance

Del

5 Replies 5

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have nothing to offer on the tool you listed, or any other for that matter.  I came to offer support on the spreadsheet method, as I have done this several times before.  What exactly is the hang up on the import/export process you are experiencing?

PS. If you are moving all phones all 7.1(5), have you thought about rebuilding your 8.6(2) as 7.1(5), then performing a DRS backup/restore to the new cluster, followed by upgrading to 8.6(2)?

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

Hi

I've done a few migrations this way. Basically what you need to do is:

1) Compare the headers from each file and account for the differences between the two (renaming headers, and dropping out those that are deprecated)

2) Map any data differences (e.g. if partitiions, dev pools etc are named differently, replace them with the appropriate new values in a column-sensitive fashion).

I wrote some simple tools to do both those functions (compare two sets of headers and fix with some 'known' differences, and highlight other differences, and a second util to fix up data based on sets of rules - e.g. replace all instances of  x with y in the Device Pool column, and all instances of INTL with INTERNATIONAL in any column, etc etc.). It takes a little effort up front to put the rules together (not too difficult) and then you sometimes hit odd bugs with the import/export process... but the result is that all the phones, assocs, services, and speed dials are migrated.

Personal Phone books are a seperate issue...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron,

Yea the difference in field headings has been a speed bump for me.  I was hoping the Export All phone details would seamlessly import right back in to CUCM 8.6.2...  Very naive of me to think that :-)

Looks like I will just have to invest the time to get this done with out any magical tool :-(

Thanks Anthony,

Unfortunately I am not moving all phones from 7.1.5 to the 8.6.2.  What I will end up with in the end is an SME environment that is connected via SIP trunks to my CUCM 7.1.5 and both 8.6.2 environments. 

My hang up so far has been how time consuming it is to massage the data from 7.1.5 before I can BAT it in to one of the 8.6.2 clusters.  My team over the last 4 years has gone from 2 of us that knew CUCM very well to adding 5 more individuals that did not know it at all. The original standards have been...  Let’s say squewed a little.  There are a whole lot of individual phone templates and it is very time consuming to go through them all and try to put them in a standard template.

I am trying very hard to not loose anyone’s speed dials and device customization.

You can always pay someone to do it for you.  There are consultants on this forum.

Good luck and happy migrating!

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.