cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover over WAN

wilko
Level 1
Level 1

Does Unity really require a 100Mbps network connection? My customer would like to implement failover over a WAN and 100Mbps is not achievable. Is there another alternative which will provide for Unity redundancy over a WAN? Unity version is 4.0(4)

3 Replies 3

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Total we say that we need a DS3. Failover, or Unity for that matter, wasn't designed to accommodate low bandwidth connections.

Some customer looking for a disaster recovery option keep a cold Unity server and a fresh copy of their last DiRT restore at their DR site. If they have a real disaster they can restore the DiRT backup and have Cisco rehost their license file. I'm not sure if DR is what your customer had it mind but without a high bandwidth conenction between sites this is the best we can offer.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith,

Do you know of any links or docs that talk about the failover bandwidth/network requirements for Unity failover?

Thank You,

Keith,

I am in a similar situation with a bank that wants to create a DR site. I am running Unity 4.04 on the existing Unity server; Both exchange and active directory are "on box." My question has to do with DiRT. Assuming I have another Unity server with the same hardware, Unity version, and Unity licensing will I have any trouble restoring a Dirt backup from the primary server to the cold standby server? I'm wondering if simply creating an AD instance on the cold standby server with the same name as the one as the primary server won't create problems because of the unique characteristics of each AD domain, even when the domains are named the same. In other words, do the primary and cold standby servers need to be integrated into the same exact AD domain (even if there are 2 domains that are named the same and have the same user accounts for unity) for DiRT restore to work?

Thanks,

Kevin