cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forward Text For Unity message to GroupWise server?

johnbarbagallo
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to configure Unity/Exchange to forward text for unit messages to a Groupwise server, which will then pass the message on to the user? I'm assuming I'd have to tell exchange where our Groupwise server is, but I'm not sure where to configure that.

Help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

For Exchange to Groupwise message routing, you will need to contact your Microsoft vendor. This is not a function of Unity, but of Exchange. Exchange has a connector for Groupwise. If you are running Exchange on-box with Unity, I don't know if running a connector is supported by Cisco. That would be a question for TAC. Here is the MS link for Exchange 2003 -

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/insider/groupwise.mspx#HowDoesTheMessageFlowWorkFromExchangeServerToNovellGroupWise

"How Does the Message Flow Work from Exchange Server to Novell GroupWise?

For message flow, you need to have three services started on the Exchange server:

• Connectivity controller

• Connector for Novell GroupWise

• Router for Novell GroupWise (which is responsible for transferring the text files to and from Novell GroupWise API Gateway share).

The following describes the message flow from Exchange Server to Novell GroupWise:

1.Exchange Server transport examines the message target address. If the address type is GWISE, it sends the message to the Message Transfer Agent (MTA) by placing it in the SMTP mailbox folder called MTS-IN.

2.MTA picks up the message and delivers it to the GroupWise connector's mailbox folder called MTS-OUT.

3.LXMEXOUT picks up the message from MTA-OUT and delivers it to READYOUT folder.

4.MEX2GW process converts the message to GroupWise format and writes the results in the Connector Store on \\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Conndata\GWRouter.

5.Exchange Router for Novell GroupWise service (GWRouter) picks it up from there and delivers it to the API Gateway.

6.GWMTA in turn delivers the message within the Novell GroupWise organization."

However, an easier way to do this would be to create a Unity Internet subscriber. Internet Subscribers are Cisco Unity subscribers who do not have mailboxes on the local Exchange network. Instead, messages for Internet Subscribers are sent to an e-mail address that you specify when you create the Internet Subscriber account. Internet subscribers are created in Cisco Unity to enable Cisco Unity subscribers to find them in the directory and send them messages as they would with any other subscriber. Internet subscribers are stored as contacts in Active Directory and as custom recipients in Exchange 5.5. Mailbox greetings and voice names can be individually recorded for each Internet subscriber. Messages sent to an Internet subscriber are sent via SMTP over the Internet or any TCP/IP network. If the remote message recipients do not use Cisco Unity, they receive voice messages as e-mails with attached WAV files. If they use Cisco Unity, and the Voice Connector has been installed, they receive voice messages. Here's a recent guide on networking you may want to investigate with Cisco. Although SMTP networking is still supported, I believe the direction is to go to VPIM networking. Both are mentioned in this link - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_feature_guide_chapter09186a0080449a8a.html. Note you don't need the voice connector or Unity networking if you don't mind the Unity voice message coming into the user's Groupwise account as an email with a wav file attachment.

Hope this helps! Ginger