cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Garbled voicemail, out of sequence errors with audiostat

jaywydra
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - I have Unity 4.0.4sr1. We are experiencing problems when remote offices check their voicemail. The message are garbled when any of the remotes check voicemail. It is more noticeable when large file transfers are taking palce between remotes and the hub (where Unity is). This would lead me to look at a QOS issue however, QOS is set up correctly and there are no packets being dropped in the policy maps. I am noticing that there are over 4 million out of sequence packets in the audiostat tool since yesterday when we reset the counters. We are doing all G.729 on the Unity server. Would the out of sequence packets confirm a potential WAN issue given my situation? There is an MPLS cloud in the middle of everything. Thanks for any help.

Jason

4 Replies 4

bbaldwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jason,

The out of sequence packet counter in Audiostat is misleading. It is best to start the logging of calls from the Record Log tab & look for individual instances of jitter in the Avg(ms) column.

There is also a defect that allows for multiple RTP streams terminating to a single Unity port - see BugNav CSCdz82495. This can cause 'garble' when the orphaned stream gets mixed in with the newer call.

Realize that the root cause of such a problem can come from a gateway or some other endpoint failing to terminate the audio stream - as with CSCdy33300 or CSCee95586. To find that condition on an MTP port, view the status of the gateway ports from the link http:///YokoPage?14. If this shows a line has been active for a long time, it is likely that Unity is recieving multiple audio streams.

The following link also has some more items to check for this condition:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00801663a2.shtml

Are voice packets prioritized or just the links between Unity & other endpoints?

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for the info. I checked to see if I was affected by any of the bugs and I don't see any sessions stuck in an active state on my hardware 6608 transcoder resources. Also, it doesn't appear that the messages are getting recorded with garble, just during playback to a reomote site, during large file transfers. I'm still seeing constant out of sequence counts on the audiostat tool. I won't pay much attention if you say it can be misleading. I was just alarmed at how many there were in only 1 day (over 4 million and counting). The current version of audiostat we have is 1.0. So maybe upgrading to a newer version will fix that. I think I will go back to looking at QOS as a pototential issue. We are priortizing RTP over the WAN with LLQ.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

Were you able to get your issue with the garbled voicemail resolved?

If you did please let me know how because I am going through the same right now and TAC can not figure it out yet.

Thanks,

Imad

I had the same problem and resolved it via "mls qos trust dscp" on the switchport that Unity is connected