cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to set up an extension as call operator (receptionist)

Yousef_Haddad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone..

I know my question might sound amateur, but i'm new to all of this. I'm using Cisco Unified CM Administration (System version: 8.6.2.22900-9) and i'm trying to configure an extension here to be the receptionist or call operator. So whenever someone from outside calls the organization that i work with, when they press 0, they will be redirected to this extension number. I have the system set, but i came here with no proper handover, so im trying to figure out what to do. A girl that left long time ago used to be the receptionist, so now i need to change it to a new extension.

Many thanks.

Jo

8 Replies 8

vinayak3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can create translation pattern for digit 0

Refer to this document for confighttps://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_5_1/ccmcfg/bccm-851-cm/b03txpat.html

thx a lot. I tried this, but it doesn't work. It works only inside the organization, not for calls coming from outside.

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Do you have Cisco Unity Connection (For Voicemail) or UCCX (Contact center express). Just wondering how the call routing is done.

If its on Unity, check for the system call handlers and verify the call routing if needed. If its on UCCX, then you have to modify the scrpting

Lets share, will discuss more on this.

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Rath!
***Please rate helpful posts***

not pretty sure, but i can't find call handlers settings.

As vinayak mentioned, what you are doing is generally accomplished via a Translation Pattern (Call Routing > Translation Pattern). If this used to work (pressing 0 went to the DN of the person who left) then the Translation Pattern is probably already in place. To redirect 0 to go to a different extension should be as easy as editing the Called Party Transform Mask on the existing Translation Pattern.

Maren

I tried this, but it doesn't work. It works only inside the organization, not for calls coming from outside.

Question: How are callers from the outside dialing "0"?

The partition that is assigned to the translation pattern needs to be in the calling search space of the originator of the call for the call to be successful. So for outside callers to be able to reach an internal directory number or translation pattern, the CSS of the inbound trunk/gateway must include the partition of the DN or Xlation Pattern.

If you are going to be administering a CUCM system, it is *vital* that you read up on how PT/CSS work because that is central to CUCM operations.

Maren

Hi Yousef, Let's start from the beginning, trying to understand what is configured now in your system since you have mentioned that it used to work there. 1. You should have the number which dialed by the external customer for example 1234, 2. Run a Route plan report against this number and find out what configuration element in the UCM? is it a DN for phone, or translation pattern or even a CTI Route point etc.. 3. If it is a TP find out what is modified pattern for this number or if it is CTI route point, find out server where its registered IP address. we can go further once you have an answer above. Or you have mentioned that you can't see call handlers configured, so does it means you have a unity connection. If you have one, then it will be easy for you to configure a new call handler. Then you configure a transfer rule to transfer to the greeting if you want to use the call handler to provide the caller with a prerecorded menu of options, in your case to press 0 to reach the reception phone, Then you configure the transfer rule to transfer to the extension of the reception phone. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/administration/guide/8xcucsagx/8xcucsag060.html#83423 Regards, Shalid Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.