cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ICT Inter Cluster Trunk ports vs Intra-Cluster Trunk Ports

tknapp
Level 1
Level 1

I have two CUCM clusters.  Each running 12.5 Code.

I wish to build a NON-Gateway Controlled Inter Cluster Trunk between them.   I am trying to find what Ports need to be allowed through Firewalls.

I found multiple documents show Intra-Cluster Trunk ports, non that really call out Inter-Cluster potrs.

The ICT will be used for Sip Calls between the two sites.   I have found information show ICT but this is in regard to Gateway controlled.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/12_5_1/systemConfig/cucm_b_system-configuration-guide-1251/cucm_b_system-configuration-guide-1251_chapter_01010111.html

I guess the confusing thing to me is, are Intra-cluster and Inter-cluster trunks the same in Cisco Documents?

6 Replies 6

The trunk types you reference is H323 and then you wrote that the calls will be SIP.

You’re better off if you create a SIP trunk between your systems. In that case it would use the normal ports used for SIP, those are well defined and documented.

Response Signature

tknapp
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Roger for you fast response.

Still a bit confused.   When I Try to build a Trunk between the two CUCMs (12.5).  I have Three choices.

H225 Trunk Gate Keeper controlled

Inter-Cluster with Gateway

Inter-Cluster NON-Gateway

SIP

The two Trunk types:

Inter-Cluster with Gateway

Inter-Cluster NON-Gateway

They are for H323 Traffic?

Trying to understand the differences between the Inter-Cluster Trunk(s) and a SIP trunk.

Thank you

Yes they are for H323. A SIP trunk can be used for a inter cluster trunk (ICT), you don’t need to select any of the once named inter-cluster trunks for a ICT. Picture below is from the help page in CM for trunks setup.
Snag_1b64e7b.png
All the once highlighted are for H323, the giveaway is the word "gatekeeper" as that's a H323 thing.

There is no such thing as an intra cluster trunk. You have probably seen the word intra used for communication that happens between nodes within a cluster. That would be intra cluster communication and has nothing to do with trunks, no matter what type of trunk you'd use.

Response Signature

Also have a look at this excellent presentation from Cisco Live. https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/emea/docs/2013/pdf/BRKUCC-2006.pdf

Response Signature

Thanks again for the fast response.  I will review the docs.  I will try the SIP configuration first.