cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IM and Presence server reboot issue

Joel Fox
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - I have a question regarding my IMP publisher on my Cisco UCS220. About a week ago I had to shutdown all of my vm's on this host to replace a faulty hard drive. Actually I didn't have to do that just for the drive, I had to shut down the ucs220 because I couldn't access CIMC, which is apparently a common bug where powering off and unplugging the power is the only way to reset it and TAC needed an show tech via CIMC. Anyway, after replacing the drive and powering off/on the device, I was able to get back into CIMC and the drive started rebuilding; all was well (or so I thought). I had HA for everything on a separate ucs220, so no services went down. I powered everything back up and tested everything or so I thought. I have to power the same unit down again because looking into the CIMC and drive issue, I found that my raid controller was also bad, so I'm replacing that today.

Today my problem is this. I'm shutting down everything to replace the faulty raid controller, and my IM&Presence server has a nice blue screen saying dvd/cd drive connected and press enter to install Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM and Presence. Apparently, after installing this my vendor did not detach from the cd/dvd drive1 after configuring this so when I rebooted, it's looking at the image on my datastore. What do I do now? Do I just power off the vm, detach from the cd/dvd drive, and power it back on to see if it comes up? This may seem like a "101" question, but this is my first VM of any kind so I'm not sure what to do so that I don't screw up my data. I do have a good backup, so if I had to rebuild and restore the data it wouldn't be the worst news, but I'd rather not do that!

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your guess is exactly correct. Power it down, edit the VM settings to not point at the ISO (and for that matter, not connect the DVD at power on) and then boot the VM again when ready.