cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing Unity 5 from original Unity 4 disks using 5 upgrade license

jmayes
Level 1
Level 1

Have Unity 4.x -- never installed. When install time came, Exchange system had been upgraded to 2007 in new AD Forest. Is there a better install path than--

a. Install Unity 4 against Exch 2003

b. Upgrade Unity 4 to Unity 5

c. Swing Unity 5 to new forest

d. Attach accounts from new Exchange server

This sounds ugly and seems to have lots of intermediate missing steps in it. Is there a way I can use the 4.x license and the 5 upgrade license to initially install in Exchange 2007 forest?

If not, can you point out any 'gotchas' to watch for?

3 Replies 3

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

If Unity 4 system is not installed, I dont think you should install the same. I'd recommend working with Cisco Licensing Team (licensing@cisco.com) and get the license file generated for Unity 5.x if you are eligible for the same. If the 4.x system is not in use and the idea is to use Unity 5.0, you should available 4.0 install.

Hope this helps

Hi -

Regarding Active Directory and Exchange as well ... you don't upgrade Exchange 2003 to 2007, you install a new Exchange 2007 server. If in the new forest, Exchange 2007 was installed into an existing Exchange 2003 organization, specific legacy information was built for this implementation. Otherwise, if Exchange 2007 was installed into a new forest, new organization, you will need to install Unity 5.x partnered with Exchange 2007. You cannot swing a Unity server to a new forest without a rebuild, including new schema updates. I would start fresh with a new Unity 5.x system and license.

Ginger

Ginger,

I have not tried this, but can the following happen:

Unity 4.x with 2003 UM

Customer upgrades to Unity 5.x (still 2003 UM)

Customer then upgrades to Exchange 2007.

Is it a simple mailstore update and Exchange 2007 powershell scripts? or does Unity really have to be rebuilt from scratch?

Thanks!