cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible that replace voice gateway with CUBE to connect to E1.

yuexp0929
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

Currently we connect to E1 PRI of telephone provider with Cisco 4321. I want to change the VG to CUBE, since we want to integrate with  MS office 365 Teams Phone system.  We have an E1 line with 300 DID.  We want to route 200 numbers to MS Teams Phone system according to direct routing solution. and we still keep 100 numbers on CUCM for some reason. 

1. Does CUBE support E1 port?

2. Is it possible that using a CUBE connect to MS Teams via SIP and connect to CUCM with H.323 or SIP in the same time?

3. Do you have any experience to share with me about the solution.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CUBE means an IP to IP gateway. There is CUBE licensing required. Yes, the ISR 4321 is capable of doing that.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Cube is not a product as such, it is a software functionality in IOS that you turn on. So you'd use that on a ISR 4K as an example.

To answer your questions see below.

1. Yes you can use an E1 in the ISR, although it's not really related to Cube functionality as such
  2. Yes you can use one Cube to connect to MS Teams calling and CUCM. However I would strongly advice you to go full SIP and not mix SIP and H.323 as that a sure thing to get yourself into all sort of issue, not to talk about that H.323 is due to be deprecated in IOS in not to long
  3. We did a PoC of the integration between MS Teams and CUCM end of last year, but we decided not to go down that path, so I don't have any real world experience of it to share

Response Signature

Hello Roger Kallberg,

Thanks for your suggestion!

What made you decide not to integrate CUCM and MS Teams ?   Is it technical reason?   Are there some risk?

Primarily cost and the complexity it brings to the system landscape.

To give you some figures as an example, for us with 25K users, the increase in cost would have been more than one point two million USD yearly and this tipped the scale for our management to not go down this path. The bulk of this cost comes from the additional license level that users would require to be assigned to in the O365 environment to enable the calling functionality.

There are always risks involved when you connect something with the internet. These has to be accounted for and mitigated as best as can.

Response Signature

CUBE means an IP to IP gateway. There is CUBE licensing required. Yes, the ISR 4321 is capable of doing that.

Hello Elliot Dierksen,

Thanks for your reply!

I have purchased the license.  I am worried if there are some risks in the solution I don't find. 

CUBE is a very mature product, and TAC support on this is very good. Unless you have something really odd, I find it hard to believe that CUBE won't be able to do the job.