Views
Helpful
Replies

Local Route Groups vs translation to E.164

Maxim Denisov
Level 3
Level 3

Hello.

Can anybody describe local route groups benefits compared to dialplan with translations to E.164?

Let's see simple scenario. I have 3 sites - MSK, SPB and NSK. All site has phones and a gateway, each site has it's partition for termination (TERM-MSK, TERM-SPB, TERM-NSK) and a partition for translation (XLAT-MSK, XLAT-SPB, XLAT-NSK). There are 2 CSS for translation and termination for each site (CSS-X-MSK, CSS-X-SPB, CSS-X-NSK, CSS-TERM-MSK, CSS-TERM-SPB and CSS-TERM-NSK). All phones has a translation CSS local to it's site configured, for example phones at MSK has CSS-X-MSK in phone configuration. There are translation patterns for translating dialed off-net numbers to E.164 format (7495XXXXXXX for MSK, 7812XXXXXXX for SPB and 7383XXXXXXX for NSK). Subscribers uses 9 for local off-net calls and 90 for long-distance, there are 2 translation patterns with corresponding XLAT partition and CSS-TERM CSS (9.[1-9]XXXXXX -> 7495 prefix plus XXXXXXX and 90.[1-9]XXXXXXXXX -> 7 plus XXXXXXXXXX, partition XLAT-MSK, CSS CSS-TERM-MSK for MSK). CSS-X CSSes has corresponding XLAT partition only. CSS-TERM CSSes has allowed TERM patitions. Each route pattern has corresponding TERM partition and points to single route list with single route group. Finally I have 3 route patterns 3 route lists, 3 route groups, 6 partitions and 6 CSSes total).

Using Local Route Groups I have the same 3 route patterns, 3 route lists and 3 route groups but one partition and one CSS. Pros for this scheme is less partitions and CSSes. Cons is the loss of flexibility (I can't allow calls to anywhere from MSK and only MSK and NSK for NSK and can't use different prefixes for off-net calls for each office).

Have I understood the Features and Services Guide rignt? Is there other way to translate dialed off-net number to E.164 without using extra partitions and CSSes (Translatio Pattern requires this)?

1 Reply 1

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Maxim,

Local Route Groups have not dependency on e.164 dial plan and vice-versa, there are independent features.  Local Route groups allow you  to consolidate your route patterns/route lists/CSS/PT, depending on complexity of your routing you can accomplish all your remote site routing via a common set of route patterns/list CSS/partitions, so routing decisions are based on local route groups assigned to device pool of the calling device rather than just the CSS.  E.164 dial plan is merely a way to structure dialed numbers, how and where you transform them is up to you, I prefer using transformation patterns vs. translation patterns for example.

HTH,

Chris