Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate CUCM 6.x to CUCM 9.x

Cesar TM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need migrate CUCM 6.x (8500 DLU - 1000 IP Telep.) to CUCM 9.x. Can i Directly migrate 6.x -> 9.x or need first migrate 6.x -> 8.x and then migrate to 9.x?

Need more additional licenses?

NameCatalog NumDescriptionUnit
Price
Final
Price
Qty
Voice and IP Communications
R-UCL-UCM-LIC-K9R-UCL-UCM-LIC-K9Top Level SKU For 9.x User License - Electronic Delivery0,000,001
Software
CCX-90-CMBUNDLE-K9CCX-90-CMBUNDLE-K9CCX 9.0 Promo Bundle available only with NEW CUCM or BE6000IncludedIncluded1
IME-PAK-K9IME-PAK-K9Auto-expanding PAK for IME 9.0IncludedIncluded1
UCSS-UCM-PAKUCSS-UCM-PAKInclude PAK Auto-expanding UCSS PAK for CUCMIncludedIncluded1
CUCM-VERS-9.0CUCM-VERS-9.0CUCM  Software Version 9.00,000,001
IME-VERS-9.0-K9IME-VERS-9.0-K9IME  9.0 Server Software0,000,001
MIG-CUCM-USR-BMIG-CUCM-USR-BMigration to UC Manager Enhanced - 1K - 10K Users9,009,001.000
UCSS-UCM-ENH-B-3-1UCSS-UCM-ENH-B-3-1UC Manager Enh UCSS 1K to 10K users - 1 user - 3 years29,0029,001.000
Services
CON-ESW-MIGCUC03CON-ESW-MIGCUC03ESSENTIAL SW Migration to UC Manager Enhanced6,006,001.000
61 Replies 61

Thank you Cisco

Attempted the upgrade from customers 6.1.4 to 9.0 this weekend and guess what..... Yep it failed, I upgraded the hardware so that it would support the upgrade to 9.0(1) but during the upgrade process it disables the RAID controller and formats the disks, this is where it failed. I followed this process: -

1/ Ran backup of customers current 6.1.4 installation o.k.

2/ Shutdown publisher and installed 4GB Memory

3/ Rebooted customers current publisher

4/ Made sure that all customer devices are registered to the subscriber

5/ Ran refresh upgrade cop file via SFTP – completed o.k.

6/ Inserted 1TB external USB disk

7/ Started upgrade process using DVD that was created from Install ISO (Image to disk)

8/ After about 2hrs starting to get concerned as the install log had not updated for some time, checked install progress from CLI using Utils System Upgrade Status – Installing

9/ Another hour later still no progress listed in the log file, no failure either, just appears to be hanging!!!

10/ Searched Internet for estimated time, anything from 2hrs to 6 hours, decided to leave and monitor it from remote.

11/ After 7hrs it was decided that this installation had failed, no reason listed in the log file for the failure

12/ Came in next morning and still no progress on the previous upgrade, rebooted publisher to still working 6.1.4 no sign of any upgrade taking place 

13/ Started upgrade process again, this time from network SFTP server.

14/ log files show progress from the start and continue to update as we go, looks like the DVD was either corrupt or just wasn’t being read properly by the old DVD drive (Perhaps only reading one layer)

15/ After an hour or so the System reboots for the first time and continues install process

16/ System then says that it is stopping the RAID controller and re-booted, this caused the server to reboot and then come up with the error – “an error occurred trying to format md0, this problem is serious and the install cannot continue.”

17/ I removed the external USB and re-booted the server and got Grub loading error 17 – this is related to the master boot record being corrupt or broken

18/ re-installed CUCM 6.1.4 – this was difficult and I had to reset the RAID and format the disks before it would install

19/ Restored customer data from the backup, rebooted the cluster and all is happy back on 6.1.4

After this I checked my USB disk and saw that it had been partitioned as 2 x 36GB partitions, 1 x 19GB partition and the rest as a final partition. To me it looks like the install has tried to use my USB device as one of the HDD’s?

So after 14 hours of messing around and watching a screen do hardly anyhthing (Paint drying is more exciting) we are back to square one. Customer contact is also very concerned that we might have lost the publisher completely during this process. There must be an easier way to upgrade a Callmanager cluster that is only running 176 phones! Just give me the license, I will give you the servers when we are finished the migration...

Hi Stuart -  to confirm; are TAC now stating are we not allowed (due to licensing restricitions) to build new servers and use bat to rebuild the DB config from scratch? I have a customer where we want completely re-design the dial plan as part of the upgrade and was looking at a fresh build and gradual migration approach.

Cheers

Brian

Brian, from my current experience they will not support a migration using BAT and will not supply a license file to cover the migration. If you are building to new hardware or moving to VMWare as in my case then the only way to migrate is to upgrade the customers current system or a bridge server to version 9 and then use ELM to move the licenses. Unfortunately for me my upgrade failed. I already have my virtual servers running 9.0(1)but cannot migrate the 176 phones as they require the licenses.

Here's the update, I was told after submitting the failure report from the weekend that Licensing have had a rethink and will now License my new cluster of 9.0(1) that is going to be built on VMWare. The one thing that I have to do prior is run the ULT and do a screen dump, I have done that and sent the information to Cisco over 24hrs ago and I'm still waiting for further information and a PAK or license file. I can see from  the web interface that my case is stated as waiting for customer input, I have chased asking for what input is required from me? I have chased the Cisco person that is assigned to my case and not had any replies to my emails and no call back from my voicemails. I had the case re-queued so that someone who works during my time zone can deal with me. I am starting to think that I am not going to be able to complete this migration. I am just glad that I am in the same location as the customer and do not have to commute to the customers site.

HI Daniel,

I am in teh middle of upgarding from CCM 4.2 to 9.1. We ahve complete dthe upagrde from 4.1 to 6.1.5 and from 6.1.5 to 8.0 but the current server dose not support upgrading to 8.5. Can you refere me to a docuamnt that will alow me to virtualize my 8.0 version?

The single server replacement document can be found at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_0_2/cluster/clstr802.html. You can replace the physical servers one by one, then you can upgrade to 9.0 whenever.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

Hello Dan. Am planning to upgrade one of my clients from 6.1.1(MCS 7825-H3) to a 9.1 virtualised on a Non Cisco hardware. What are the challeges on this particular path? I haven't seen much cisco documentation partaining this. I understand i have to patch the 6.1.1 to 6.1.5 first.

Anthony

Anthony,

The question is if you want to take the long way or the short way to get there (I know...dumb question).  For an upgrade like this one, I would recommend using the jump process.  But to do that, you need to get to a supported starting version...so 6.1(5) is your best bet.  As for the VM HW, that is irrelevant as long as you abide by the UC on UCS requirements for the size of the deployment. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

I think am faced with the same situation.

I have a customer looking to migrate his systems from v6 to v9.. The client wants to use the Workspace license with v9..

From the support forum answers, I gather you cannot do a direct upgrade to v9 from v6. Meaning I will have to migrate to v8 first..

Does this mean I first have to buy the v8 upgrade license, restore my DL licenses then purchase upgrade license for v9..?

What is the top level SKU to migrate to v8.x and that of upgrade to v9.x?

You only purchase upgrade once for 9. Also look at the jump upgrade process you can then do 6.1.4 or 6.1.5 on UCS and then jump to 9.1. Check the jump upgrade guides for it

The cop file disables license check till you get to the final version and you have 60 days to handle that with licensing

Thanks

Srini

Hi Daniel,

I need to ask about something

I have an upgrade from 7.1 to 10.5

I have a licnese PN MIGB-UCM-UWL-STD

It is migration from basic ucm user to STD for 200 users

I know the steps for installation and upgrade from MCS to UCS for 10.5

Only I need to know what to do with this license and when to use it and can I fresh install cucm 10.5 and install this license and will it give me also 200 users ? that I don't need any configuration from the current cucm. So Can i go with new install and use the license or I should go through the upgrade steps ? and if so how will I install this license ?

Thanks

When you ordered the migration users, you essentially ordered a PAK that you will use in order to get the actual licenses.  These licenses will be applied to an Prime Licensing Manager once you have installed your UCM.  You can install the UCM 10.5 as new or as an upgrade to your 7.1, then apply the licenses to that cluster.   And the installation of the actual licenses will occur AFTER the installation (so that is when you apply). 

I think that covers your question.  Sorry for my delay in responding.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Hi Daniel,

We are planing migration from 6.X.X to VM BE6000 so we are going to make fresh install of BE6000, and my question is about license re-hosting. We have enough licenses for BE6000 but want to re-host also the licenses from old one. Both CUCMs will be active in same time for a period, so in few words all we need to do is in 60 days period to generate LCU report from old CUCM and send to licensing@cisco.com and expect from them to send us PAK or new license files to apply to ELM?

Thanks in advanced

If you email licensing@cisco.com with the specifics of your migration, they will work with you on getting the new licenses. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Hi Dan,

So we are in the process of purchasing Cisco Business Edition 6k with 9.0 and 9.1 OVAs and bootable ISOs.

My question is I need to migrate from MCS 7825 H3 Servers (x2)  Pub/Sub running cucm System version: 7.1.3.30000-1

Based on your doc that you put out, I should be able to do the direct upgrade correct?

My plans are as follows:

1. Perform a DRS backup from my Production Env

2. Install & Restore on a spare MCS server, exact build as my prod ( already done)

3. Upgrade to 9.1 UC on the MCS

4. Configure my new BE6k ESXI,

5. Run the OVA 9.1 and bootable ISO

6. Preform a DRS restore  hoping my database is in tact with CTI route points, devices, users, gateways, etc.

7. License

8. Repeat the same process for my sub or just build from scratch and let it sync with the pub and pull the data over.

Am i off base here?