cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PCD migration to new hardware

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

We have an environment that has 1 pub, 1 sub, 1 IM&P node, 1 connection node and a UCCX node.  They are currently running version 10.X respectively.  New hardware has been purchased and I worked with TAC for over a month getting the cluster (CUCM and IM&P) discovered by PCD.  My original goal was to get the servers migrated to the new hardware then perform the necessary upgrades, but now that 10.X is end of support, should I go ahead and upgrade to the latest 11.X prior to the migration.  I asked the TAC engineer and that is what he recommended, but wanted to get others input.  If I were to simply migrate the existing 10.X nodes over I assume I will need to create to the OVA and have the bootable ISO for my current version or will the ISO that I used to upgrade work?  If I were to do this can I migrate one node at a time or does the entire cluster have to be migrated?  I have not used the PCD tool in the past and have lost several weeks troubleshooting with TAC on why the cluster could not be discovered and need to make some progress on this project.

As usual any assistance is appreciated,

Joe  

7 Replies 7

What is your intention with using PCD to migrate to the new hardware? Personally my preferred method has always been to add the new hardware as hosts in the same vcenter cluster as the old hosts. Then use vmotion to move the VMs to the new ESXi hosts. When you have done this you can use the normal upgrade method to get your system landscape to the targeted versions for each system type.

Response Signature

Standalone ESXi hosts, no VCenter.

What type of hardware do you use, Cisco UCS or other vendor that is on the VMware compatibility list and compliances with the set requirements for your systems? 

Response Signature

All servers are Cisco UCS.

I’ve never had a need for using PCD for this, so I have no first hand information to help you out with this. On the part of your original post about the ISO file to use, you’ll need to have a bootable image for the target version. This is quite well documented in this document that outlines the entire process for how to migrate from one version to another and at the same time move to a new virtual machine..

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-version-105/200134-Cluster-migration-using-Cisco-Prime-Coll.pdf

Response Signature

The reason I ask is that unless you are using UCS hardware vCenter is a mandatory requirement. For details see this document.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/virtualization-software-requirements.html

Response Signature

RachelGomez161999
Spotlight
Spotlight

Cisco PCD Simple Migration
Cisco has developed a tool called Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment which can be used for Migration or Upgrades. This tool ease the job of an engineer and eliminates many manual task and save some time as well.

There are two ways we can do a migration 
Simple Migration using PCD
In this migration, the network details like IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, DNS, Hostname will remain the same for destination cluster. 

Network Migration using PCD
In this migration, the network details like IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, DNS and Hostname may change as per the business requirement or design perspective. 

Prerequisites for PCD Migration
Download the OVA and ISO File from Cisco website for the target version we are going to deploy.
Upload the ISO file into SFTP location of PCD under / fresh_install directory. 
Deploy OVA in the Virtual Machine for the target version. The VMs should be in powered off state after it is deployed.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez