cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Presence Client not working

Michael Osland
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of users in our organization that the Presence client seems to hang on.  The log shows the following error:

[Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.WpfUtilities.Utilities.UserControlSettingsManager] [Class.Method(0)] - Unable to read UIPrefs.xml: file does not exist

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the client and it still won't work on those pc's.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have seen this happen with the CUPC 8.x client (your post doesn't clarify the client version). In that case it was a video driver/directX problem. Coincidentially reloading the OS would result in a fresh video driver load. Perhaps try updating the video drivers to see what happens?

Also be sure to run the EXE installer to get the prerequisites installed.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

What O/S is running on those PC's? 

XP service pack 3

Are you getting any errors during the installation?

When does the client throw this error?  Can you upload a screen shot? 

Does the client start up, but not work because of this error, or does the program simply crash and go away after throwing this error?

And have you tried installation / running the application as a user with administrative rights on that PC and maybe domain admin rights? 

Cliff

There are no errors during the install or uninstall.  It starts up, but where the window should be, is a region of whatever other window happens to be on top of it or gets moved over it.  We pulled up the log file and that was the error that was showing up in it. 

The user is already a local admin, and we have tried it with the domain admin as well.  This has happend to a couple of users now, and the only way we have gotten it to work is to reload the os. I would rather figure out what the fix is, then to reload those machines all the time when it happens.

I have seen this happen with the CUPC 8.x client (your post doesn't clarify the client version). In that case it was a video driver/directX problem. Coincidentially reloading the OS would result in a fresh video driver load. Perhaps try updating the video drivers to see what happens?

Also be sure to run the EXE installer to get the prerequisites installed.

You were right on the money.  It was the video driver, as soon as we reinstalled it, it started working fine.  Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: