cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Presence Question

John Huthmaker
Level 4
Level 4

I am starting to work with Jabber.  I noticed that by default, every user can add every user and message them.  I also found that if I go to the user page for Presence, I have the option to set all people within my domain to block, except for the people I override.  For external users, it allows to either ask if they are allowed, or block.

Is there a way to set presence for internal domain to "Ask Me"?  Otherwise, is there a way to set up a group of people who are allowed to see certain people?

The main reason is our CEO doesnt want everyone to have the ability to contact him.  We dont want him to have to go in and change his presence settings whenever someone is promoted to manager.

Thanks,
John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi John,

which version of CUP are you using ?

Do you have only Jabber as a presence client ?

In 8.6 there are the following settings that will probably help you

CUP admin pages ---> Presence --> Settings

Enable availability sharing

Allow users to view the availability of other users without being prompted for approval

I copy from the help pages

Default Setting: On

Check this check box to enable users (clusterwide) to share availability information (assuming that  the privacy policy set by the user allows for this capability).

Uncheck this check box if you want to enforce strict privacy rules and prevent the sharing of  availability information between users. If you change this setting, you must restart the Cisco UP  Presence Engine and Cisco UP XCP Router services on all nodes in the cluster for the changes to take  effect. Select Cisco Unified Serviceability > Tools > Control Center - Feature Services to restart  the Cisco UP Presence Engine; select Cisco Unified Serviceability > Tools > Control Center -  Network Services to restart the Cisco UP XCP Router.

Troubleshooting Tips

• If you turn on this setting, Cisco Unified Presence shares availability information for a user  amongst all other users in the cluster who are subscribed to that user's presence, based on the  policy settings for that user. The default policy setting for a user is to allow all other users view  their availability. Users configure their policy settings from either the client (Cisco Jabber) or the  Cisco Unified Presence User Options interface.
  • If you turn off this setting:
    • the availability status  of a user is not shared with any client that connects to Cisco Unified  Presence (Cisco IP Phone Messenger, Cisco Jabber, XMPP and third-party  client applications). Availability sharing is also suppressed for  external watchers, both intercluster and federated, which means that  external watchers will not see the status of any user homed in this  cluster. However, users can still see their own availability status on all devices belonging to them.
    • instant Message (IM)  sharing and chat room functionality will still work unless you  explicitly disable IM sharing capability. In a chat room, people that  enter the room are Available independent of their true availability  status, and availability changes are not reflected in the room.

Allow users to view the availability of other users without being prompted for approval

This auto-authorization setting only impacts the authorization of local users on this Cisco Unified  Presence cluster. If you uncheck this check box, the Cisco Unified Presence server presents all  presence subscription requests to the user for authorization before sharing the availability state with  the subscriber.

• If you have SIP clients in your network configuration, check this check box regardless of whether  or not you use auto-authorization for presence subscriptions requests.
  • In XMPP deployments, check this check box to allow presence subscriptions to be automatically  accepted. Otherwise, uncheck this check box.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi John,

which version of CUP are you using ?

Do you have only Jabber as a presence client ?

In 8.6 there are the following settings that will probably help you

CUP admin pages ---> Presence --> Settings

I copy from the help pages

Check this check box to enable users (clusterwide) to share availability information (assuming that  the privacy policy set by the user allows for this capability).

Uncheck this check box if you want to enforce strict privacy rules and prevent the sharing of  availability information between users. If you change this setting, you must restart the Cisco UP  Presence Engine and Cisco UP XCP Router services on all nodes in the cluster for the changes to take  effect. Select Cisco Unified Serviceability > Tools > Control Center - Feature Services to restart  the Cisco UP Presence Engine; select Cisco Unified Serviceability > Tools > Control Center -  Network Services to restart the Cisco UP XCP Router.

Troubleshooting Tips

• If you turn on this setting, Cisco Unified Presence shares availability information for a user  amongst all other users in the cluster who are subscribed to that user's presence, based on the  policy settings for that user. The default policy setting for a user is to allow all other users view  their availability. Users configure their policy settings from either the client (Cisco Jabber) or the  Cisco Unified Presence User Options interface.
  • If you turn off this setting:
    • the availability status  of a user is not shared with any client that connects to Cisco Unified  Presence (Cisco IP Phone Messenger, Cisco Jabber, XMPP and third-party  client applications). Availability sharing is also suppressed for  external watchers, both intercluster and federated, which means that  external watchers will not see the status of any user homed in this  cluster. However, users can still see their own availability status on all devices belonging to them.
    • instant Message (IM)  sharing and chat room functionality will still work unless you  explicitly disable IM sharing capability. In a chat room, people that  enter the room are Available independent of their true availability  status, and availability changes are not reflected in the room.

This auto-authorization setting only impacts the authorization of local users on this Cisco Unified  Presence cluster. If you uncheck this check box, the Cisco Unified Presence server presents all  presence subscription requests to the user for authorization before sharing the availability state with  the subscriber.

• If you have SIP clients in your network configuration, check this check box regardless of whether  or not you use auto-authorization for presence subscriptions requests.
  • In XMPP deployments, check this check box to allow presence subscriptions to be automatically  accepted. Otherwise, uncheck this check box.

Thank you so so much.  The exact setting I was looking for was right on that page.

I unselected that, restarted the XCP Router, and it worked exactly as I wanted.

We are using Jabber only; currently version 9.0.5, but we'll likely go to 9.1.0 later this week.  We're still testing, so we have only rolled out to a few users at this point.  Our presence server is on 8.6.

Hey Everyone,

This worked a bit ago, but today is not working.  I have that check mark removed from the automatically display presence.  However, presence info is being displayed regardless.  I noticed on Jabber 9.1 under privacy settings, I do not have an option to "Prompt Me' before a user adds you.