Views
Helpful
Replies

Presence Server shows wrong current UTC Time

cataldo.fornito
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

my presence/IM server shows wrong current UTC Time. (20:42 instead of 15:42)

NTP is enabled and Publisher has correct UTC Time and timezone set.

I did the following workaround: I set a "wrong" timezone (Etc/GMT+5) on the presence server.

Now at least the current time in my timezone is correct.

Any advice how to correct the current UTC Time?

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As @Jaime Valencia  mentioned, pub Is not synced try restarting your ntp.

is this a a Windows based NTP ? if yes  Windows NTP server is not supported for CUCM; however, other types such as Linux NTP sources, Cisco IOS NTP sources, and Nexus OS NTP sources are acceptable.(This is from a one year old Cisco document. not sure if there was any update regarding the windows)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/215537-network-time-protocol-ntp-on-cucm.html

Response Signature

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does the CUCM publisher has the right time? UTC and whatever timezone you configured?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Yes the publisher has the correct time for UTC time in my correct time zone "Europe/Zurich"

Does the ntp status show correctly with your PUB?

What NTP stratum are you using?

HTH

java

Here the output from ntp status from publisher.

stratum is 2

ntp status.jpg

It's also UNsynchronized, start by restarting the NTP or switch to another NTP.

HTH

java

CUCM publisher, Is it synced with the NTP ? Can you share output of  utils ntp status from  pub ?

Response Signature

Hi, here the output from utils ntp status from pub

ntp status.jpg

As @Jaime Valencia  mentioned, pub Is not synced try restarting your ntp.

is this a a Windows based NTP ? if yes  Windows NTP server is not supported for CUCM; however, other types such as Linux NTP sources, Cisco IOS NTP sources, and Nexus OS NTP sources are acceptable.(This is from a one year old Cisco document. not sure if there was any update regarding the windows)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/215537-network-time-protocol-ntp-on-cucm.html

Response Signature

Sadav Ansari
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Is your IM&P is reachable with your NTP and  DB replication is fine ?

Cisco highly recommends the use of a Stratum 1, Stratum 2, or Stratum 3 NTP server as the CUCM Publisher's external NTP reference. Any NTP source for the CUCM publisher MUST NOT be higher than stratum 4.

The external NTP servers defined for the CUCM Publisher node MUST be NTP v4 to avoid potential compatibility, accuracy, and network jitter problems. NTP version 4 is backward compatible with version 3; however, many issues were observed with attemps to use different NTP versions.

Pls rate if its Helpful. If this answered your question pls click Accept As Solution.

cataldo.fornito
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Guys, Problem solved!

All your inputs were very helpful.

The old configured ntp server was my Windows Domain controller, which is not supported and I did not know that.

I switched to Google NTP server and ntp status is synchronized and shows correct UTC and local time! 

Google NTP Server:

FQDN: time1.google.com.ntp
IP addresses: 216.239.35.0

Appreciate your help, Thanks guys!!

ntp status_new.jpg

@cataldo.fornito As it was @Nithin Eluvathingal reply that mentioned that NTP on Windows servers is not supported IMO I think that out of courtesy you should mark his response as the answer to your post, not your own reply.

Response Signature