cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Restore a CUCM Database using command line 8.6.2

latenaite2011
Level 4
Level 4

Is it possible to restore a CUCM database using command line (CLI) or the VM's console?  

The new CUCM has been built in a virtualized with the same IP but I can't power it up to access the GUI because there will be a duplicate IP.  So just curious how I can restore the database from CLI or the VM's console.

thanks,

11 Replies 11

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If you are looking to restore a DRS backup then the following command is required from CLI

utils disaster_recovery restore network restore_server tarfilename devicename

Details here

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cli_ref/9_0_1/CUCM_BK_C3A58B83_00_cucm-cli-reference-guide-90/CUCM_BK_C3A58B83_00_cucm-cli-reference-guide-90_chapter_01001.html#CUCM_CL_U8B67252_00

HTH

Manish

Is this something I run on the server (it is a new VM with no database yet) so I want to restore a backup made from a different server to it.  

This looks like it is to restore on a different server that the server I am logged into.

Yes, this needs to be done on the new server's CLI after a fresh install. If the server is not built yet or if there is no access to CLI then this is not possible. Database restore requires a VM to be built with same cucm version, IP, hostname etc and then restoring the DRS backup taken from source cluster.

Manish

Hi Manish,

If I use via command line,

utils disaster_recovery restore network restore_server tarfilename devicename

the VM still needs network connectivity to read the backup?  Is there anyway I can store the backup onto a datastore so that the new VM can read it locally for the restore?

I am trying to avoid having to put the new VM online until after the restore and after I manually change the IP address on the new VM to temp IP to avoid having an IP conflict.

No, the restore via CLI, just as if you were doing this with the GUI, requires network access to a SFTP to get the files.

This means CUCM needs to have network connectivity in order to restore, from another server, which is configured as a backup device, that is running SFTP.

No way around this, you'll need to stage a separate network where you can do this.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Ok, got it!

I am prepping the VM to install using a ova file right now for the staging environment. 

I am about to install the bootable 8.0.3 on a VM now using the 8.0.3 ova file (for backup/restore purpose of the current production. If I remember correctly, this will require answering some questions about the hostname, IP, dns,..etc.  I will give it the same information as the current production and did see that it will check hardware and maybe a network connectivity?. I should be able to put the same IP and at the end of the installation, it will require a reboot to finish?  If so, will there be a conflict of IP? 

Do I power off at the end of installation?  I want to avoid any issues at the end of the installation and at the same time, want to avoid duplicate IP and stage this before the maintenance window with having a VM ready for restore.

If this will cause issue, I'll wait until the maintenance window tomorrow to install the bootabable ISO file with the same IP.

thanks in advance,

ln

For all matter of purposes, you're going to be doing a fresh install of CUCM (along with all the network and connectivity checks), you just need to match the required data for DRS to work (if you haven't, I strongly suggest you read the whole DRS guide)

If you're installing the server in the same network where your current server is, then yes, obviously there will be a conflict, that's why you need to stage a separate network to do this.

HTH

java

Thanks Jaime.

Unfortunately, this environment is remote to me and due the time constraint, we can't set up a similar network with the same subnet.

Should we have to power off the publisher under the maintenance window.  Do you know how long it takes to install the 8.0.3 CUCM on the new VM?

I know the restore is pretty quick.

thanks,

LN

Hi Jaime/All,

Do you know if there is a shut to remote shut a CUCM server down and bring it up?  It is version 6.1.5 and we want to avoid having to be at the different building if we can.  If not, we will have to physically be there.

Or some services I can shutdown so that I can install the new VM to avoid any duplicate IP during the networks and for the restore.  After that, I will bring it back up.

thanks!

LN

Hi Jaime, Yes, I am aware that it needs to be on the exact same version. That is what I am installing (and have to wait ) until the upgrade is done on the MCS first before I can install the new VM on 8.0.3 to avoid any issues since I can't really set up a last minute network isolation.

thanks!

LN

Anywhere between hour and a half to two hours, plus the time it takes for all the services to start, another 15-20 minutes.

Old MCS servers had their IBM/HP equivalent of CIMC, if those servers do not have it configured, someone will need to be there physically. 

Now, you just mentioned that the server is 6.1(5), but you're going to install a VM with 8.0, you know that a DRS restore requires the exact same version, right????

HTH

java