Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C220M3 copy/clone Virtual Machine over ESXI 5.0

ciscoceci
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Next week i have an intervention in UCS (Change RAID controller). I would, for keep data, make a "clone" of Virtaul Machine CUCM and UNITY that are defined in UCS. (I have a ESXI 5.0 and VSphere client).

I don´t need a snapshoot, i would like to get a clone of two VM before the intervention.

anyone know the procedure?

Thanks Anna.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Anna

I would do two things:

1) Perform a full DRF backup of each produce to SFTP as you would normally

2) Connect to the ESXi host with the vSphere client. If you don't have this, you can browse to the IP of the host and click the download link. Once connected, browse into the datastore. Click on the folder containing the VM and then click 'download folder' on the toolbar. This will copy it down to your workstation. You'll need lots of disk space, and time! The VM should be stopped when you are doing this.

Alternatively, in the vSphere client you can click on the VM and use the File/Export/OVF Template, this can produce a smaller export file and be quicker. Again, VM neeeds to be shut down to do this.

Either way ensure you have a DRF backup as well.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Anna

I would do two things:

1) Perform a full DRF backup of each produce to SFTP as you would normally

2) Connect to the ESXi host with the vSphere client. If you don't have this, you can browse to the IP of the host and click the download link. Once connected, browse into the datastore. Click on the folder containing the VM and then click 'download folder' on the toolbar. This will copy it down to your workstation. You'll need lots of disk space, and time! The VM should be stopped when you are doing this.

Alternatively, in the vSphere client you can click on the VM and use the File/Export/OVF Template, this can produce a smaller export file and be quicker. Again, VM neeeds to be shut down to do this.

Either way ensure you have a DRF backup as well.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

so this cloning of the vm machine can restore it as it is on another ucs c220 m3 just like i left it? just need to turn it on and i can pick up where i left it? im asking this because i need to backup solarwinds vm machines?

Yes, you can clone, or do a cold migration.

Review the caveats here

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime, Aaron,

I know this is an old post, but we are encountering the same issue. Need to move Unity Connection 11.5 from End of Life ESXi server managed by one vCenter to a new ESXi server managed by a different vCenter. From my research there are two ways of moving vm files from old ESXi to the new ESXi.

Option 1: Browsing datastore of the vm; Copy files out of the datastore; Then upload files to the destination ESXi datastore; Register the vm. This method seems 3 times faster.

Option 2: Export OVF Template from old ESXi; Import the OVF to the new ESXi.

Are both methods supported? And which method you would suggest?

Much thanks.

Ben

As your question is off topic of the OP and this is a multiple year post, that also is marked as answered, I would advise you to create your own post to ask your question.

Response Signature

Hi Roger,

Your suggestion makes sense, I realize it as well.

Thank you.