cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.04 on box exchange problems

k6lw
Level 4
Level 4

In the past two days I have noticed a couple of irritating issues pop up.

1. Deleting a mailbox from SA doesn't appear to delete the exchange account or user ID from the server. This means I have a lot of wasted space with deleted accounts and messages. Is there some "automated" procedure to clean all these orphans out of the system?

2. I had two different accounts yesterday cease working. The accounts showed up in SA. The user names show up in ADMIN TOOLS AD. The user names however DON'T show up in Exchange AD.

If I delete the account from SA and then rebuild it, all the messages that were in the account reappear.

What's up with that?

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 2nd item I can't speak to - sounds like perhaps a RUS issue... Unity doesn't explicitly make the mailbox, we create the AD account and pass a flag indicating we want a mailbox resource assigned to that AD account and the rest is out of our hands - so if the AD account is being created but no mailbox, you have a problem furth up stream from us.

The first item sounds like the default behavior for Exchange - when you delete a mailbox it sticks around for 30 days and then is cleaned up by a background process. You can force the cleanup of the mailboxes in the Exchange administrator where you can also tell it to not keep the mailboxes around for that long (I have mine set for 0 which effectively means when you remove a user their mailbox goes away that day). Again, Unity has no direct control over this, these are policies set in Exchange/AD - we ask AD to remove the account and leave it at that. There's no exposed mechanism for us to ask it to explicitly purge the mailbox resource immediately as well.

Thanks Jeff;

I thought I had all the settings programmed correctly. However when I kill a subscriber in Unity, it is not removing the account name from the AD. I was surprised that it appears that there are "2" ADs on the server. One is located in Admin Tools and the "other" in the Exchange folder. They list DIFFERENT accounts.So in the case of the two that died, they existed in AD on the box, but not in the AD for Exchange. So now it appears that in addition to removing users from Unity, I need to also go in to the AD and kill them there to. Once I do that, the "automated" exchange purge takes place.

I am also having issues with the MSM working correctly on the various mailboxes. I have more than one subscriber whose messages violate one or more of the MSM rules. (Length, storage size, deleted, etc.)

One other note. Running DB Walker produces a couple of error messages that aren't really errors. I have a couple of accounts that MWI is turned off on purpose. DB Walker treats this as a "bad" thing.

Lee