cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity to Connection Migration Estimate Time Frame

Mario Garcia
Level 3
Level 3

Migrating a 1000 subscribers from Unity to Connection.  I know the tools I need to use from ciscounitytools.com and the process.

I am trying to determine how long the process will take.  Cannot find any documentation that gives estimated time for each step of the process.

Does any one know how long it would take to move a 1000 unity subcribers to connection?  Estimated time with no voice messages being moved and how much extra time roughly would moving the messages add?  For example assuming each user had aboout 15 minutes of voicemail stored.

I appreciate any feedback anyone can give.

Thanks,

Mario

3 Replies 3

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jeff Lindborg has a section on this in the help guide for COBRAS. See http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS_Briefcase/COBRAS_Briefcase.htm#_Toc330199800.

The answer is, "it depends". Having done a lot of these, I say that in all seriousness. I've done a migration of approximately 4000 users with messages that took several hours (4-6 IIRC) to import. Note that this does not include the backup time which is in addition. In most cases, especially for UM configs of Unity, I'd suggest not migrating messages...it can increase the import time exponentially. I've also done migrations of varying size without messages (~200-5000 users) that are were quite efficient.

Here's one test for you. Run the backup with and without messages for the system you need to migrate and you'll have a baseline. Not perfect but gives you a starting point.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I did a migration of around 400 accounts from an older Unity 4.x server to Connection 8.x recently.  I seem to recall it taking a few hours for the backup and a few hours for the restore (including messages). 

Jim

I'm a big fan of the 'suck it and see' approach.

Since you are migrating from Unity to CUC, is your CUC actually in use yet?

The build process is typically (simplified):

1) Build CUC

2) Test features with a couple of users

3) Export Unity config

4) Merge into CUC

5) Job Done

If your CUC isn't in production use, the nice thing about COBRAS is that you can export Unity users, import into CUC, and if you don't like the results you can just delete all the users and reimport - it's not a 'start the build again' approach like DMA for CUCM or UCCX.

That said - a recent run took around 30 mins for just short of 500 users, and about 50 minutes to import with messages. That's on a good network, with new UCS servers and fast admin PCs. Lots of variables - processing power/network speed/amount of messages will come into play.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!