cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity to Unity Connection License

billybjo1
Level 3
Level 3

A customer has a Unity Connection 8.0 server in place (CUWL).

Someone had previously ordered some additional users and instead chose Unity 7 as the voicemail PAK by mistake.

I have registered the PAK and obtained the license file, but using the Unity Connection MAC address. The file is a UNITY...... filename instead of CXN.......

Will this work if loaded on a Connection server?

I don't have remote access so cannot try until next on site.

I also submitted a request to licensing to get a new CXN file just as a precaution, but they have refused, and said just use the PUT tool. PUT as far as I know does not re-issue user licenses, only server licenses.

So if the UNITY file works, I should be ok. If not, what would you normally do in these situations?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not sure if it will work, but I would push back on the licensing team and have them re-host the license to UCNX, if they refuse ask for duty manager and explain the situation.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not sure if it will work, but I would push back on the licensing team and have them re-host the license to UCNX, if they refuse ask for duty manager and explain the situation.

HTH,

Chris

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It depends what features are entitled inside the LIC file. If it's just mailboxes, yes it will work as that feature name was retained between products. If you expect it to work for server entitlements you're out of luck though a PUT order with electronic fulfillment can turn out a PAK for Unity to Connection migration in short order.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

This is just mailboxes, not server licenses. The actual descriptions and labels in both files are similar, but the version number isn't:

Unity 7 license (one of the lines):

INCREMENT LicSubscribersMax cisco 5.0 permanent 500

Unity Connection license:

INCREMENT LicSubscribersMax cisco 8.0 permanent 500

If the version is important, I'm guessing it probably won't work.

Licensing team are being a brick wall...........nice of them! This is a big customer.

So looks like i'll be giving it a go anyway next time i'm on the server.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

I'll just add this reference to the great tips from Chris

and Jonathan (+5 my friends )

License Files and Migrations from Cisco Unity

Revised April 2010

Cisco Unity Connection can use Cisco Unity license files to enable  Cisco Unity Connection features when migrating from Cisco Unity 4.x or  later to Cisco Unity Connection.

Note that the Cisco Unity license files must have the MAC address of the  server on which Cisco Unity Connection is installed or the license MAC  of the virtual machine:

If Connection is installed on the same server on which Cisco Unity was installed, you can install the Cisco Unity license files.

If  Connection is installed on a different server from which Cisco Unity  was installed, you must have the Cisco Unity license files reissued with  the MAC address of the new server.

If  Connection is installed on a virtual machine, you must have the  Cisco Unity license files reissued with the license MAC of the virtual  machine.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/administration/guide/8xcucsag310.html#wp1071332

Cheers!

Rob

"Spend your life waiting,
for a moment that just don't come,
Well, don't waste your time waiting" 

-Springsteen

Just an update if anyone tries this. The Unity licenses didn't work on Connection, but only because of the version number being different. So it may work if they were the same, I'm not sure.

Thanks for the replies. Now to try and get the licensing team to be a bit more helpful.....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: