cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS expressway and control upgrade from 8.5.1 to 8.9.2??

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

is it possible to upgrade vmware version of VCS expressway and control  from 8.5.1 to 8.9.2 directly? i have cucm and IM&P 10.5 with jabber clients

26 Replies 26

Hello Alok,
thank you for the update. Actually i didnt know what the voice service domain meant.
I thought it was the FQDN of my unity connection server
should i remove it ?
I can't log in again

see attached the zip file

Update:

I have been able to login.i changed the voice services domain to match my dns domain for the srv records. I uploaded new jabber-config.xml. The phone services are now enabled. The challenge now is that sip uri for my internal calls is working but the sip uri for outside calls is not working. I get an error voice message that i should confirm my directory . let me check my route partition and css .

Hello Alok,

In a bid to resolve the issues of sip uri outbound calls, i checked the search rule in the expressway c and discovered that there was loop detection. The search rule to route calls to CUCM (neighbor zone)  was to stop on successful match  string . I changed it to 'continue on successful match ' and the sip uri outbound calls was successful.

I don't know if i did the right thing. I am grateful to Alok who provided me with the assistance of changing the voice service domain as well as the deletion of the cisco folder in the %appdata%

Hello Alok,

please can you confirm if the following settings are correct for MRA users? see screen shot. I used  to put the ip address of the im and presence and it works fine.I decided to put the exp-e.fuoict.com to  see if it works since the subdomain must be externally resolved.

i appreciated your feedback

Hi Collinks,

Its always best to make use of SRV records instead of manually pointing to a server, because in that case users needs to keep changing the server ip as they move from internal LAN network to an Public Internet and vice-versa

Jabber when login internally always use cisco-uds srv record and when external uses collab-edge srv record.

So for e.g. consider below scenario.

Jabber login domain for both internal and external (abc.com) 

CUCM -- 10.10.57.11

IM&P -- 10.10.57.12

Internal DNS -- 10.10.57.10

Exp-C -- 10.10.57.13 (using internal DNS server 10.10.57.10)

Exp-E -- 203.37.192.11 and External DNS server 172.18.210.9

So on the internal DNS server (10.10.57.10) you will create a record something like below

_cisco_uds._tcp.abc.com pointing to CUCM 10.10.57.11

and on External DNS Server 172.18.210.9 you will create a record 

_collab-edge._tls.abc.com pointing to Exp-E 203.37.192.11

Obviously you don't point SRV directly to an IP but to an hostname and then in DNS you create A record for those hosts to resolve to IP-Address.

When jabber user "user1@abc.com" login in internally it goes to CUCM using (cisco-uds) srv record and when user goes to public internet jabber will use (collab-edge) srv record .

This way no need for assigning the server manually for login. 

Regards,

Alok

Hello Alok,

Thanks for the update .that's the exact configuration I did.however ,refering to your scenario ,I have internal exp e - 10.10.57.14.  (A record,in the internal dns server) )hope this doesn't cause problem

Exp e -165.90.243.14 using public DNS

Update

I saw this in the search history call

The source is alice@atlanta.com and destination is carol@chicago.com----------how did they appear in my expressway e

• Search (5)
    • State: Completed
    • Found: True
    • Type: SIP (OPTIONS)
    • SIPVariant: Standards-based
    • CallRouted: True
    • CallSerial Number: 0478595b-430e-4510-ad52-e2d6cada581c
    • Tag: f796600e-826b-4b20-a9a4-1edc96806635
    • Source (1)
      • Authenticated: False
      • Aliases (1)
        • Alias (1)
          • Type: Url
          • Origin: Unknown
          • Value: alice@atlanta.com
      • Zone (1)
        • Name: DefaultZone
        • Type: Default
      • Path (1)
        • Hop (1)
          • Address: pc33.atlanta.com
    • Destination (1)
      • Alias (1)
        • Value: sip:carol@chicago.com
    • StartTime: 2017-07-31 13:24:39
    • Duration: 0.04
    • SubSearch (1)
      • Type: Transforms
      • Action: Not Transformed
      • ResultAlias (1)
        • Value: carol@chicago.com
      • SubSearch (1)
        • Type: Admin Policy
        • Action: Proxy
        • ResultAlias (1)
        • SubSearch (1)
          • Type: FindMe
          • Action: Proxy
          • ResultAlias (1)
          • SubSearch (1)
            • Type: Search Rules
            • SearchRule (1)
              • Name: B2B TRAVERSAL SEARCH RULE
              • Zone (1)
                • Name: B2B TRAVERSAL
                • Type: TraversalServer
                • Protocol: SIP
                • Found: True
                • StartTime: 2017-07-31 13:24:39
                • Duration: 0.03
                • Gatekeeper (1)
                  • Address: 10.108.13.15:25001
                  • Alias (1)

Hi Collinks,

It seems to me someone is trying to use your Expressway to exploit and make malicious calls.

You can create call policies to block those.

Regards,

Alok

Hi Alok,

Thanks for the update. For the past two days, I have been finding it difficult to log in via window jabber .the error is "can't communicate with the server ' I used Cisco collaboration tool to test the edge for mobile and remote access and it worked just fine.the tool even retrieved file from the Cucm.

I am suspecting my os.am still digging around

Hello Alok,

I have created the call policy in the expressway e (see attached). The challenge i am having now is that when i  log in to expressway e using public ip,it will log me out if i try to click on a tab. i have used the private ip address of expressway e via my vpn ,but it is not logging me out. My jabber is not log in. I am thinking if there is an ip conflict with the public ip. what do you think?

Hello Alok,

sorry to bother you on the dns resolution from core. You said that the cor should be able to resolve the FQDN to the E's IP Address. Is it public or private ?

Am using Dual Nic Deployment. As a result the expressway C resolves the FQDN to private ip address of E

ie:  C resolves the exp-e.fuoict.com to 10.108.13.14 and not to the public ip of E. In C, i only put internal dns

should i make expressway c to resolve exp-e.fuoict.com to the public ip?

hello,

C also resolves 10.108.13.14 to exp-e.fuoict.com

see attached the event log. I was able to login but phone services are disabled

Hello Alok

1. .I have observed something.if I delete the jabber-config.XML which uploaded ealier to enable sip uri dialing ,the phone services wil be enabled .
  2. If I re-upload it,the phone services will be disabled .could you please take a look at the jabber-config.XML file to know if there are errors.

Jitender Bhandari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

You can also see below for help

https://supportforums.cisco.com/video/12707606/cisco-vcs-server-upgrade-procedure

JB