Views
Helpful
Replies

vCUBE limits in flow-around mode

kamil.bockay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am not able to find a max sip session details for media flow-around mode for CUBE. (especially CSR1000v Large deployment). I guess it should be different as media termination consumes a lot of resources.

Can you please help me to answer following questions? 

- what is a max. SIP session limit

- what's the CPS limit

- does flow-around call consume CUBE licenses

Thanks in advance,

Kamil

4 Replies 4

b.winter
VIP
VIP

I don't think, there will be any info about that, as the public info doesn't really differentiate between flow-through or flow-around.

"Maximum trunk session capacity and call processing performance is provided here for the purposes of comparison only. Operational capacity is dependent on various factors, such as call presentation rate, call type (for example, call center or standard IP telephony), transcoding, encryption, and media forking. Figures included in Table 2 are based on simple telephony calls and assume ideal conditions that optimize for either call volume or rate."

And as you wrote yourself: It's about SIP session limit / SIP CPS => SIP is not media. So flow-around has nothing to do with SIP or vice-versa. I think you are mixing up 2 different things here.

About your last question: Yes for sure. CUBE still handles the call.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. 

Public info here is saying specifically, that this numbers are for flow-through calls:

IOS-XE sizing deck for CUBE, vCUBE, and Media Proxy (cisco.com)

I am aware, that different call scenarios will have different factors. I'd like to know just a simple call limit.

for the CPS - I know, that SIP is not media. My idea was, that if a device does not need to terminate media, it might have a resources for higher CPS.

regards,

Kamil

I only see it mentioned in one specific columns of different tables. So, I personally would not assume "flow-through" for every other column or table. But whatever.
If you want any reliable facts, then you probably have to open a TAC and ask Cisco directly.

I would be very surprised if TAC had this info readily available; they’re usually focused on break/fix (ie config guides). I’d turn to your Cisco Collab PSS/TSA to research/ask internally.

Two thoughts, FWIW:

• RTP packets are CEF-switched so the overhead is probably less than you imagine.
  • Flow-around mode is exceedingly rare in my experience. CUBE won’t rewrite IP & UDP port details in the SDP body so everything must be directly routable. That isn’t normally feasible (or a good idea) for a trunk between customer & provider.