cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MVS with CUCM

alialjamri2008
Level 1
Level 1

I have three concerns regarding the use of BlackBerry MVS with the CUCM, First thing how is the quality of the VoIP when using these features, any one uses and experiences this feature? Second thing what are the required licenses to be ordered from both BlackBerry and Cisco? Is there a way to evaluate this thing?

Thanks,

Ali

2 Replies 2

mjordy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ali,

Regarding your questions:

1.  You asked: "how is the quality of the VoIP when using these features, any one uses and experiences this feature?"

I'm not a regular user of BlackBerry device, but I have worked with the BlackBerry MVS client a few times and the voice quality was always excellent.  Of course, good voice quality in the case of VoIP when it comes to mobile devices ultimately depends on the quality of the IP connection - 802.11 WLAN or mobile provider data.  Assuming the WLAN is enterprise class and optimized for real-time traffic, voice quality with the MVS client is excellent.  You should expect that VoIP calls made over public WiFi hotspots or over the mobile provider data network will have at minimum some sporadic quality issues, but how poor the quality and for how long poor quality is sustained depends on the available bandwidth.  We also tend to find with IP connections made over the Internet (public WiFi hotspot or mobile data network) that connection reliability can be varied.  In some cases during peak traffic periods or in highly dense deployments, IP connections may be temporarily dropped and therefore call may be lost.  But none of this is unique to the BlackBerry MVS client

2.  Next you asked: What are the required licenses to be ordered from both BlackBerry and Cisco?

Yes, both Cisco and BlackBerry licensing is required.

On the Cisco side licensing on the Cisco Unified Communications Manager call control side is required.  In short, licensing is required for each MVS client device - that is it is endpoint or device based inline with other device licensing for other Cisco endpoints.  Regardless of the type of Cisco collaboration licensing deployed, the MVS device licensing is similar to licensing for Cisco mobile client devices like Cisco Dual Mode for Android or iPhone.  The device can be used as primary device or added as an adjunct device. There are plenty of nuances in terms of Cisco-side licensing depending on whether you are talking about a new or existing install, what version of Unified Communications Manager, and the existing or planned collaboration licensing model.   As such you should reach out to your Cisco account team or certified partner to understand the specific licensing implications for your scenario.  Again this isn't unique to BlackBerry MVS client, but applies to endpoint licensing generally with Cisco collaboration.

On the BlackBerry side licensing for MVS require client access licenses - again per device/client licensing. You can find more details on the BlackBerry licensing at their website (http://www.blackberry.com/).

3.  Finally you asked: Is there a way to evaluate this thing?

On the Cisco side, some of this depends on your current deployment - for example, if you already have Unified Communications Manager in place or have access to the software, with a fresh install you have 60 days of limited licenses and certainly that would be enough time to demo the MVS client.  In the case of existing Unified Communications Manager if spare licenses weren't available, you ought be able to temporarily leverage the limited grace licensing to demo the client.  On the BlackBerry side, I believe this also varies based on the existing environment - for example, if you already have BlackBerry Enterprise Server in place, then you only need to acquire the MVS server/client software which is a free download I believe.  Either way, I believe you can register to download an evaluation version of the server and client software from the BlackBerry website.  You'll also need to get the BlackBerry MVS Cisco Options (COP) file from the BlackBerry website.  This must be loaded on each node of the Unified Communications Manager cluster and is required to enable the BlackBerry MVS device types on the system.  See: http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/business/blackberry_mvs/blackberrymvs5.jsp

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Jordy

Response Signature

If the customer is on UC 9, then UCL enhanced if it is 1 device per user, enhanced plus if they want MVS+ another device and anything more is CUWL STD.

Thanks

Srini