Views
Helpful
Replies

Procedure to Gracefully Shutdown and Power up CUCM Cluster

ADAMSKA
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community!

This is my first time posting to the Community forums and my question is regarding the proper way to shutdown and power up my UC environment for our upcoming data center move.

I have x3 - BE7000M (M4) and x1 - BE6000M (M4) servers with different UC applications spread across each.

Is it as simple as using the CLI to shutdown each UC application, then going into the vSphere client to shut the server down? Or do I need to do something else to shut the server down?

Does powering the physical hardware back up also power up ESXI and the VMs?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike_Brezicky
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
You should shut down the application servers first (CUC, UCCX, etc) followed by CUCM, subs then pub. Powering on should be just the reverse. CCX first is important to maintain the database and other critical data relationships with CUCM.

In the CLI, run utils system shutdown will power down the guest VM gracefully. Then once all VM's are off, you can shut down ESXi.

Power up in VMWare depends on the ESXi settings. There is an option to allow the host to power up VM's after x seconds, but its not a default and you have to specify the auto boot time and order for each VM.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mike_Brezicky
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
You should shut down the application servers first (CUC, UCCX, etc) followed by CUCM, subs then pub. Powering on should be just the reverse. CCX first is important to maintain the database and other critical data relationships with CUCM.

In the CLI, run utils system shutdown will power down the guest VM gracefully. Then once all VM's are off, you can shut down ESXi.

Power up in VMWare depends on the ESXi settings. There is an option to allow the host to power up VM's after x seconds, but its not a default and you have to specify the auto boot time and order for each VM.

Thank you!

It looks as if "Start and Stop Virtual Machines with the system" is Enabled, with the SUBs and PUB on a 60 sec delay, and everything else on a 120 sec delay.