Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading CUCM 8.6.2 to 9.x

AHMED ALANSARI
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I want to upgrade CUCM from 8.6.2 to 9.x and wana ask if I need to add new license for version 9.x.

Note ( my CUCM 8.6.2 is already licensed ).

Thx

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

10 Replies 10

Jagpreet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ahmed,

Please contact the Cisco TAC licensing team to get your licenses rehosted for version 9.X. The licensing has completely changed in version 9.x.

Regards,

Jagpreet

Jagpreet,

Licenses don't need to be rehosted for 9.x.  You just use the Migrate Licesnse Tool in ELM to move your 8.x licensing to 9.x licensing.

Brian

Hi Ahmed,

Just to add, use should use User Count Tool [UCT] to plan for unused DLU/PAKs prior to upgrading.Once migrated to 9.x, u won't be able to use DLUs.

You can refer POST which explains in detail:

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-30825

regds,

aman

Brian,

Thank you for correcting me.

regards,

Jagpreet

Nirmal Joshi
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Ahmed,

As long as the License mac does not change i.e the physical server or the virtual machine remains the same, you do not have to rehost your licenses for CUCM 9.x.

As Brian correctly pointed you need to use License migration tool to move licenses from 8.x to 9.x

Lets assume you have cucm 8.6 running on MCS platform and now you decide to move to UCS in that case you got to rehost as the license mac is different for every machine.

Customer Impact from New Licensing Procedures

#

Cisco    Unified Communications Manager on VMware on UCS Servers uses a different licensing model than Cisco Unified    Communications Manager on an MCS server. The MAC address of the NIC   card  is no longer used to associate the license to the server.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Licensing_Model_for_Virtualized_UC_Applications

#

Instead,    the license gets associated to a license MAC, which is a 12 digit HEX    value created by hashing the following parameters that you configure  on   the server:

#

Time zone

#

NTP server 1 (or "none")

#

NIC speed (or "auto")

#

Hostname

#

IP Address (or "dhcp")

#

IP Mask (or "dhcp")

#

Gateway Address (or "dhcp")

#

Primary DNS (or "dhcp")

#

SMTP server (or "none")

#

Certificate Information (Organization, Unit, Location, State, Country)

This hash of these fields is called the LICENSE MAC

Note : Once there is a change in any of the parameters that creates the License MAC, it will

give you 30 day grace period to generate a new license file for the CM based on new license

MAC.

Thanks for your reply

Dear Nirmal

My CUCM is installed in UCS using vmware ESXi 5 and the license is MAC as you pointed .

You mean that I have to use license migration for upgrading to 9.x ?

If yes, Can you tell me where I can find this tool and what is the consideration to use it please .

I already have the upgrading CDs. What is the steps for upgrading

Thanks a lot

Ahmed,

Pls check this link on mirgating pre 9.x licenses to 9.x. License migration can be done using ELM in cucm 9.x.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/elmuserguide/9_0_1/CUCM_BK_E596FD72_00_enterprise-license-manager-user-90_chapter_011.html#CUCM_RF_N83CBAC9_00

If you don't feel very confident about this then I would suggest install cucm 9 in your lab to get look and feel of ELM.

BR,

Nirmal

Pls rate helpful posts

Hi Ahmed,

Just refer to this POST which is an excellent presentation on Licnese migration [page no. 60]

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-33590

Also, u can visit the site www.cisco.com/go/license and generate the licenses or write a mail to licensing@cisco.com

Do remember to use all unused PAK prior to upgrading to 9.x

regds,

aman.

Hi all,

if i may to add more question, if i have 8.6 licenses, but i never installed the CUCM and Presence, then i want to directly install into the 9.x version, use old vcenter, what steps i need to do ?

thanks for your advise

Regards,

kabiru

Hi ,

Do you have the PAK codes for Node Licenses for 8.6 and DLU for users ?Alos, do have UCSS/ESW contract for upgradation.

Even though I have never seen like this but u could write mail to GLO licensing team if u have valid contracts and share the PAK codes for providing licenses.

regds,

aman