Views
Helpful
Replies

1000v -Problems after 1000v upgrade from 5.1a to 2.1.1

Glenn Gomes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We recently upgraded our Active and standby VSM pair form 5.1a to 2.1.1 in preparation to go fomr ESX 5.0 to ESX 5.1.

We did the upgrade in two environments without issue. However out prod evvironment is causing issues.

The upgrade went fine , but once the ESX hosts were upgraded and VEMS(2.1.1) applied we started having issues.

Almost immediately we started seeing ACTIVE-ACTIVE VSM error messages in the VSM logs. When this happens the VEMS that are at v2.1.1 are not longer visible to the VSMs. A SHOW CARD on the problematic hosts show that the Primary VSM MAC address is the non active VSM. All hosts still at VEM 5.1a are fine.

I should also say that the current network configuration have been running for 2 years and we have never seen an ACTIVE-ACTIVE situation. This started almost immediately after the Upgrade.

A system switchover recovers the VEMS . However now I see this on the show card.

Excerpt from a show card command on Module 23 running VEM version 5.1a

Primary VSM MAC : 00:50:56:8b:42:ff                THIS IS THE CORRECT ACTIVE VSM MAC

Primary VSM PKT MAC : 00:50:56:8b:23:39

Primary VSM MGMT MAC : 00:50:56:8b:75:9e

Standby VSM CTRL MAC : 00:50:56:8b:20:6a     THIS IS THE CORRECT STANDYBY VSM MAC

Excerpt from a show card command on Module 24 running VEM version 2.1.1

Primary VSM MAC : 00:50:56:8b:42:ff               THIS IS THE CORRECT ACTIVE VSM MAC

Primary VSM PKT MAC : 00:50:56:8b:23:39

Primary VSM MGMT MAC : 00:50:56:8b:75:9e

Standby VSM CTRL MAC : 00:50:56:8b:42:ff     THIS IS NOT CORRECT.IT IS THE ACTIVE VSM MAC

Has anyone seen this behaviour?

2 Replies 2

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In your production environment do you see both active and secondary VSMs? What does show system redundancy status show ?

Do all your VEM modules show up under show module to your production VSM?

Can you verify that you did not overlap domain ids between your poduction environment any other environments?

louis

Glenn Gomes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,
Thanks for the reply.

A show redundancy status show active with standby and successfully synced. I can do a system switchover without any problems.

All vems show up initially until the Active-Active messages show up. Then the 2.1.1 vems disappear. The vemlog on a 2.1.1 vem in this state show the active vsm trying to connect , but the vem rejects it because it expects the Mac of the non active vsm.

There is no over lap in domain ids. I verified them and all and my control vlans are separate for each environment.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card