Views
Helpful
Replies

About Energy Performance menu in BIOS setup

junhong
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, Experts.

I have some question about the meaning of the specific options about the energy performance menu in BIOS setup

Looking at the energy performance, we could find that it has four options like,

Performance, Balanced Performance, Balanced Engergy, Energy Efficient.

I just have question about what is the meaning above and how they works.

I have already tested the options using benchmark tool like sysbench and find some differences between them.

But I still want to know that how does it works and what kind of effect would be happen during operation.

If you have any other knowldeges or documents about them, please tell me about that.

Best Regards,

Jungwo

2 Replies 2

tcerling
Level 4
Level 4

The setting is really more about how the system will power the CPU than about actual performance of tasks.  The settings will use the C-state settings of the process to change the amount of electrical power being consumed.  At the Performance level, full power is being sent to all processors making all processors 100% ready to accept new and existing execution threads.  Other C-state settings will reduce the power across the board, or actually put some processors into a sleep state.  If processors are in a sleep state, it takes a little bit of time to bring it back up to power and get thread scheduled to it.

So it depends on your workload as to whether or not you will see any performance difference from various C-state settings.  For CPU intensive workloads, it makes sense to use the Performance setting.  For workloads that vary, it might make sense to allow some processors to go to sleep overnight and wake them in the morning.  Each workload's characteristics vary, so you need to determine which is the best setting (or settings, because they can be dynamically changed) is best for your environment.

Thank you for your fast reply.

And would it be possible to find some more specific descriptions about the options of the energy performance menu?

For example, Performance option is using C0 state, or somthing like that.

SInce my customer want to know that specific operations when we set the options.

It would be more helpful to my customer if you could give me the answer for the above.

Best Regards,

Jungwo

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card