Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Associate a Service Profile to multiple server

I've create a service profile and want to associate it to blade 3-8 of chassis 1. but somehow failed to do so. To do so i've create server pool as well but it's not working. Can we associate a single service profile to multiple servers?

9 Replies 9

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would not recommend server pools. Just use an updating or initial service profile template and spawn service profiles from it.

samitjana
Level 1
Level 1

Do we need to create Service profile for each server?

What if in case, i need to apply Service Profile in 100s of server? 

Every service profile will have its own unique profile, yes. If you manage them using updating service profile templates, you make a change to the template (modify boot order, add VLAN, etc) and the changes are pushed down to all service profiles using that template.

You can use server pools, they just add a layer of complexity if you are in a situation where you want a certain blade to be named a certain way or run a certain application, etc.

I'm still a bit confused.

Let's say I've 8 half width blade server and i want to install ESXi in all servers. Also i want same properties in all of the server ( like 2vNIC & 2HBA ). How can i proceed?

Can i create single service profile which is applicable to all 8 servers?
OR
Do I need to create 8 individual service profile using service profile template, that can be initial/updating?

As per my understanding if we use updating service template, modification in template will also cause modification in service profile.

In your case you would create a service profile template, a vNIC template for A and B side, and vHBA template for A and B side.

When you create the service profile template (we will name it "ESXi"), you would reference the vNIC and vHBA templates. These templates contain properties like VLAN, VSAN, etc. You also select other values in the template that you want to be the same across all blades, such as boot order, BIOS policy, firmware package.

Once the template is complete, you would create 8 service profiles from that template and assign them to each blade. For Example ESXi-1, ESXi-2. Now if you created an initial template, you can make individual changes to the service profiles without impacting other servers. Lets say one day you decide that blade 8 is going to boot from flexflash instead of local disk. You would just create a new boot policy and apply it to ESXi-8.

If you used an updating template, all changes made will reflect on all service profiles spawned from that template. This is the same for vNIC templates as well. So lets say you needed to add a new vNIC and apply a new VLAN globally to all existing vNIC on those 8 blades. You would just add a new vNIC to the template and add the new VLAN to the vNIC template, and these changes are pushed to all 8 blades at once.

I hope this helps.

That means if i've 10 chassis, each chassis with 8 half width blade server then I need to create 80 service profiles (ESXi-01....ESXi-80) for 80 half blade server and associate service profile one by one.

Is this a relevant way in large scale like when we own 100s of chassis and all blade hold same property?

Please check the configuration Limits of a UCS Domain:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-manager/Reference-Docs/Configuration-Limits/3-1/b_UCS_Configuration_Limits_3_1.html

Since day 1, a UCS 6200 / 6332  Domain is limited to 20 Chassis, resp. 160 combined rack and blade servers per Domain.

Greetings.

For the environment scale you are describing, it sounds like you would need UCS central (and eventually Intersite).

If you are truly wanting to do stateless computing, don't want to individually associate service profiles, and want the service profiles to auto deploy as soon as they are created, then yes, Server pools are the mechanism to use.

This does add a layer of complexity, as Wes has already pointed out.

One of the common TAC cases we get, involving server pools, is trying to manually assign a specific service profile to a specific blade.  Also server hardware maintenance such as RMA, or moving the server out of the server pool for some reason, is typically forgotten about, and will result in the service profile erroring out with 'insufficient resources' type error.

Thanks,

Kirk...

If you have a large scale environment and you want an easy way to manage it, You can do so by using a service profile template. Once the template is configuration you can create as many profiles as you want (within a specific limit) with identical configurations in a few seconds. You just have to use the created template to give the number of profiles you want and it will create those many service profiles. If you want to change something in all the profiles you just have to edit the template and the change will be propagated to all the created profiles. You can use the following link to create the template:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2-2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2/configuring_service_profiles.html#d111189e1047a1635

Search: creating service profile template
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card