Replies

Can my FIs support : UCSB-EX-M4-1

robad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm having 5 blades on older UCSM and I want to move it to a newer UCSM/FI

1st question:

According to my UCSM/FI version [screenshot attached], can I move this kind of server to it :

UCSB-EX-M4-1

2nd questions (** update : it's the most important question right now)

and if so, how can I move it without loosing the data on disks ? I want to connect it on the new FI, and keep working on the servers with their OS configs. (I'm asking it for this servers, and also for few M5 blades I want to move, and make sure data won't be lost)

(and 3rd question -

Can I just pull out the disks from those M4, and put it on M5 blade on the new FI, and it'll work ?)

robad_0-1712177939181.png

Thanks in advance !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use the UCS HCL tool to see what versions of firmware are supported on the blade. You can cross reference the 4.2 release notes to make sure that you can run whichever firmware you choose on FI that are at 4.2.

https://ucshcltool.cloudapps.cisco.com/public/ 

If you want to be super careful about making sure the disks are not wiped, you can configure the Local Disk Configuration Policy to "Any" and it will not attempt to make any changes to the disks. You will then need to manage the disks from Webbios.

You may also be able to just set the Local Disk Configuration policy to match the existing one you are using now, but would need to test and see if this would override the VD with a new RAID or preserve the existing RAID.

Assuming the disks you are using are supported in both the M4 and M5 servers it should work, but do not recall if you need to change the drive sled to fit. Although you are originally asking for support on an M4 server anyway UCSB-EX-M4-1.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use the UCS HCL tool to see what versions of firmware are supported on the blade. You can cross reference the 4.2 release notes to make sure that you can run whichever firmware you choose on FI that are at 4.2.

https://ucshcltool.cloudapps.cisco.com/public/ 

If you want to be super careful about making sure the disks are not wiped, you can configure the Local Disk Configuration Policy to "Any" and it will not attempt to make any changes to the disks. You will then need to manage the disks from Webbios.

You may also be able to just set the Local Disk Configuration policy to match the existing one you are using now, but would need to test and see if this would override the VD with a new RAID or preserve the existing RAID.

Assuming the disks you are using are supported in both the M4 and M5 servers it should work, but do not recall if you need to change the drive sled to fit. Although you are originally asking for support on an M4 server anyway UCSB-EX-M4-1.

robad
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Wes ! 

One more note I got from Cisco Employee - @yshtoots  :

when decommissioned the blades from the old env. - make sure you don't have a Scrub Policy .

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card