Replies

cannot ping vmk2 on other servers with jumbo frames

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

I got 3 esxi 5.1 servers setup each with 2 vmk nics - vmk1, vmk2

vmk1 is on fabA

vmk2 is on fabB

the chassis is connected to the FI, and from the FI, its going directly to the nexus 7k core. Jumbo frames is enabled on the core switches.

I have CoS of Gold for vmotion and a Qos Policy of gold with defaults shown.

the problem is from each esxi host, when I try to vmkping (vmkping -s 8000 vmk1 or vmk2 ip) the vmk2 of another esxi host, it does not respond. but vmk1 does.

I checked my vmnic polices and templates especially on fabB and they are all set to 9000.

any ideas here?

on the local esxi host itself, I can ping both vmk1 and vmk2

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tony,

One of the things to keep in mind is that traffic from FI-A to FI-B transits the upstream Layer 2 network.  Check that the LAN switches to which you uplink also have jumbo frames enabled.

David

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Since it works with one vmk and not the other, it's likely a host issue.

Check your vSwitch MTU and VMK MTU on the OS.  You can do this from vCenter - Host - Networking.

or from the CLI:

esxcfg-vmknic -l

esxcfg-vswitch -l

Regards,

Robert

they are all showing mtu at 9000. not sure where else to look. seems to be fabB related but I cannot find anything there

i can ping the vmk intefaces across esxi hosts on the same FI only with jumbo packets.

when i try to vmkping any vmk intefaces with jumbo size packets on FI-B across esxi hosts, it fails.

I verified this by removing the physical nic on the exi host attached to FI-B so that both vmk interfaces are pinned to FI-A and it works.

Tony,

One of the things to keep in mind is that traffic from FI-A to FI-B transits the upstream Layer 2 network.  Check that the LAN switches to which you uplink also have jumbo frames enabled.

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: