cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS C220 M4 dead after FW upgrade?

LCP_BO
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Yesterday i upgraded the firmware of my C220 M4 server.

I mounted the ucs-c220m4-huu-3.0.3f.iso from the KVM console and it updates everything resulting in a PASS. After the updating was finished i rebooted the server and that was when the server stopped responding.

Now the server does not do anything.
When i plug in the power, the fans of (both) the PSU starts blowing hard and the LED blinks green en amber. But it does not do anything. The monitor i hooked up to the server gives no image. 

What can i do to troubleshoot some more?

5 Replies 5

Fabián Ramírez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
From which version did you Upgrade?
Did you upgraded all components all the same time?
When you restart the server with the Monitor directly attached to it, does it give something at all or it´s justblack screen?

We went from Version: 2.0(8d) tot 3.03 f.

After upgrade everything showed succes and i performed a reboot. The server kept blowing really hard and no image was shown on a connected monitor and the CIMC was not reachable.

Cisco sent a new motherboard and a FE that replaced it which resulted in still the same issue.

So a new FE came with a other new motherboard and the issue remained. After this Cisco sent a new server with new parts and we updated this to the 3.03 f firmware. Now the server is working fine.

Only problem is i still don't know what was wrong and i'm afraid i will never know. But we have the (new) server up and running again.

Same story here.
Tried to update from 2.0 to 4.0 (ucs-c220m4-huu-4.0.2h.iso).

All components were selected to update.
On powering up the fans runs on high speed. The LEDs on them blinks from green to amber.
Front panel LEDs are all off.
Monitor attached to KVM console is in standby mode.
CIMC not reachable via fixed IP configured before the update (network port LEDs are off).

EDIT: Solved by replacing both power supplies.

Elliott Willink
Level 1
Level 1

If anyone else has C220's be very careful remotely updating the HUU as I am 100% convinced the HUU is killing power supplies.

Just had this today going from quite an old revision (~2.x) to 4.0(2f) on 2 x C220-M4's

Both had one of the 2 PSU's killed by the HUU.

In our case both PSU's were fine before update, after update flashing green/amber and fans on Max.

Looking at the changelogs there does appear to be PSU firmware updates, I think some part of this firmware update routine for the PSU's can kill them.

The servers I was doing were not under warranty, bought a couple of new PSU's and they are back up and running again.

Please see the release notes for minimum requirements and upgrade paths.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/b_UCS_C-Series_RN_4_0_2.html#id_83496

Usually there is a 3.x interim version you need to go through.

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card