Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS C220 M4 with mLOM 1227 not connecting

M.Fly
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,
i have a couple of UCS C220 M4 with a mLOM Cisco 1227 10G sfp+.

I have linked this card to an ASR9K, directly, without a switch.
The link on port 0 is UP, no problem on L1 10G, but on the port of ASR9K, no MAC Address is viewing, is not possible to ping the ptp IP Address.
On the second port named 1, same card, we have configured and linked a L3 switch, with interface VLAN configured, there are no issue to ping the ptp from UCS to SVI IP address.
If i try to view a mac address table on port 0, on the linux SO, i see MAC address of port on ASR9K, but ASR9K not view UCS port 0 mLOM MAC address, and of course, no ping is done correctly.

We have not found any explaination regards impossibility to connect the Cisco UCS with 1227 directly to a router.
Any suggestion to solve the problem?

Thank you very much.

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may find this thread informative : https://community.cisco.com/t5/unified-computing-system-discussions/cisco-ucs-c220-m4-standalone-with-vic-1227-not-connecting/td-p/3053418

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

In this documentation there are only switch linked to a VIC mLOM, it is a confirmation that is not possible to link a mLOM VIC 1227 port directly to a router like ASR9K?

We must connect first to a switch and then to a LAN ptp segment?

The kicker/non-obvious-caveat in the VIC documentation is:

The VIC always tags packets with an 802.1p header.

In other words the VIC will ALWAYS SEND a VLAN TAG.
Did you pick/configure a VLAN ID on the VIC? No? Then the VIC defaulted to a non-obvious VLAN ID. . . .
The VIC default is to send VLAN "0" which many devices (including Cisco devices) do not allow/comprehend.

The page Wes linked shows setting the VLAN to VLAN 10:

Upstream Switch-Independent Teaming
One Uplink

If the VIC vNIC is configured with a VLAN tag (pick almost any VLAN tag like 10) and the ASR is also configured to tag packets with the same VLAN tag (10), then it might "just work".

Hope that helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card