cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ESX uplinks on a UCS Blade

skumar7193
Level 1
Level 1

After installing ESX on UCS blade ( adapter type is Palo, number of nics is 2) sometimes I see that the uplinks are vmnic2 and vmnic3 (output of esxcfg-nics -l)

Where are the output of esxcfg-vswitch -l shows uplink as vmnic0 and it also throws a warning saying vmnic0 does not exist.

This does not happen all the time. Anyone know why this could be happening?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I've seen this happen quite a bit when you don't have the nics as the first devices in the vNIC/vHBA Placement. By default we put the HBAs first sometimes ESX doesn't like this and will put the NICS as vmnic2 and 3. If you move the nics above the HBAs they come in as vmnic0 and vmnic1. I always reorder and put my nics before my storage.

louis

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I've seen this happen quite a bit when you don't have the nics as the first devices in the vNIC/vHBA Placement. By default we put the HBAs first sometimes ESX doesn't like this and will put the NICS as vmnic2 and 3. If you move the nics above the HBAs they come in as vmnic0 and vmnic1. I always reorder and put my nics before my storage.

louis

Thank you.  After I manually changed the order of vnics before HBAs it came up correctly. What bugs me is that, it is not consistent and it only happens some times. Meaning even when the HBAs are before vnics it works sometimes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: