cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hard disk Replacement on RAID 10 (UCS-C200-M2)

ajaybalan01
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I am running RAID10 on UCS-C200-M2 and swapped one of the failed disk.

Currently there is beep sound for more than 12 hours and I assume the new disk is rebuilding at the moment.

On top of that, Physical drive status is currently on "unconfigured good" on CIMC. Will the status change to "online" after 

the rebuild completes? Will reboot required after the rebuild completes?

Please advice.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jchavesd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If the Drive status in unconfigured good. You will need to access the Webbios in order to change the state to Online and allow the Rebuilding to initiate. 

Here you can find all the info needed to set the drive to Only state again

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/raid/configuration/guide/RAID_GUIDE/MegaRAID.html

If by any chance you experience any issue doing such thing. Call the TAC and they will help you out with it. 

Please rate ALL useful answers 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Saurabh Kothari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ajay,

Reboot is not required when a drive is rebuilt.

As per the CIMC status the drive is not getting rebuild.

'Unconfigured Good' -- A drive that is functioning normally but is not configured as a part of a 
virtual drive or as a hot spare.

The status should be marked as 'rebuild'

What is the beep code?

For example 3 seconds on and 3 seconds off.

Regards,

Saurabh

*Rate all useful content.

Hi Saurabh,

I am not sure what was the beep code , because my end customer was affected. I will confirm that with the customer and determine based on the table below. Cisco TAC did assisted to silence the alarm for time being but I am not sure how he did that because we couldn't access to Webbios due Java issue yesterday. Java is now fixed we will have another round of webex later.

I believe next course action, is to jump in to the Webbios and configure the new drive as part of virtual drive / hot spare. 

My assumption was during the disk rebuild server will prompt the beep sound. Eventually, i had the wrong understanding, TAC mention that (hard disk failure & dedicated hotspare disk failure could also cause beep sound)

Table 5-3 Summary of LSI MegaRAID Card Beep Codes

Beep Code
LSI Firmware State
Cause (Depending on RAID Level)

3 seconds on, 1 second off

SPEAKER_OFFLINE_ENTRY

• RAID 0: One or more drives offline.
  • RAID 1: Two drives offline.
  • RAID 5: Two or more drives offline.
  • RAID 6 More than two drives offline.

1 second on, 1 second off

SPEAKER_DEGRADED_ENTRY

• RAID 1: A mirrored drive failed.
  • RAID 5: One drive failed.
  • RAID 6: One or two drives failed.

1 second on, 3 seconds off

SPEAKER_HOTSPARE_ENTRY

A hot spare drive has completed the rebuild process and has been brought into the array.

jchavesd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If the Drive status in unconfigured good. You will need to access the Webbios in order to change the state to Online and allow the Rebuilding to initiate. 

Here you can find all the info needed to set the drive to Only state again

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/raid/configuration/guide/RAID_GUIDE/MegaRAID.html

If by any chance you experience any issue doing such thing. Call the TAC and they will help you out with it. 

Please rate ALL useful answers 

Hi,

Will access to Webbios and change the state to Online and allow the Rebuilding to initiate. Will let you know the status once done. Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: