cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TWO 6454 FI connected to Nexus with only one uplink on each

NARAMAW2022
Level 1
Level 1

We have six nodes of HyperFlex M6 connected to two 6454 FIs. The FIs are connected to a Nexus Switch, but the problem is that we only have one uplink on each FI instead of the required two. Our technician keeps insisting that this is totally fine and that we already have 2x redundancy since we have two FIs. Can someone let me know if this is a true statement? If I were to power down the primary FI, would it impact or interrupt any services with the current setting of one uplink on the secondary FI?

This is what I found in Cisco Site:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2-2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2/configuring_the_fabric_interconnects.html?bookSearch=true

No, having only one working uplink in a situation where two uplinks are required does not provide 2x redundancy.

In order to achieve 2x redundancy, both the primary and secondary fabric interconnects would need to have two working uplinks each. This way, if one uplink fails on one fabric interconnect, the other fabric interconnect would still be able to provide redundancy with its working uplinks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes. With Hyperflex, each UCS FIs only require a single uplink.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/UCS_CVDs/hx45_vmw_esxi.html#_Toc480903871

Is that best practice? No.

The link above has the recommended configuration:

vPC to Multiple Switches

This recommended connection design

Will Hyperflex stay up and running if one FI-uplink (or FI) goes down? Yes, it should.

I'm more concerned with this statement:

The FIs are connected to a Nexus Switch

Do you really only have a single upstream switch?
If so that is bad. IMHO, much worse than each FI only having one uplink.

Hyperflex configures UCS vNIC policy for "Action on uplink fail" as "link-down" (the UCS default) instead of "warning".
With only one upstream switch Hyperflex WILL fall over if that singular upstream switch reboots.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes. With Hyperflex, each UCS FIs only require a single uplink.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/UCS_CVDs/hx45_vmw_esxi.html#_Toc480903871

Is that best practice? No.

The link above has the recommended configuration:

vPC to Multiple Switches

This recommended connection design

Will Hyperflex stay up and running if one FI-uplink (or FI) goes down? Yes, it should.

I'm more concerned with this statement:

The FIs are connected to a Nexus Switch

Do you really only have a single upstream switch?
If so that is bad. IMHO, much worse than each FI only having one uplink.

Hyperflex configures UCS vNIC policy for "Action on uplink fail" as "link-down" (the UCS default) instead of "warning".
With only one upstream switch Hyperflex WILL fall over if that singular upstream switch reboots.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card