Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS - Exsi Password after reset not able to login

Hi,

After resetting password of Exsi host from the GUI were able to login with the new password but after few days when i tried new password/old password with both were not able to login.

Can someone suggest the steps to recover root password of exsi host.

Note: There is no vCenter it is a stand-alone exsi host and also there is no AD integration.

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is a question that is better put in Data Centre part of the community as it’s not related to anything within Collaboration. I’ll be moving you’re post over into that area.

Response Signature

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The "esxi" article others have referenced only applies to to very old versions of ESX and not ESXi.

Make sure you attempt to use the local console (i.e. vKVM) as it should allow you to log in even if your failed login count has locked the root account (provided you are attempting login with correct password)

Your options are limited to reinstalling ESXi and retaining datastores.

Make sure you choose 'retain/preserve datastores' option, so your guestVM files/folders will still be present.

Once you have reinstalled ESXi (picked new root password, set IP info), you will then be able to browse the storage, browse the guestVM folder, right click on file with .vmx extension, and 'add/register VM' to get the VM added back into the new installed ESXi inventory.

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card