Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

We are using UCS boot-from-san using the traditional 4 WWPN search order;

Primary HBA( VHBA0) , Primary WWPN

Primary HBA( VHBA0) , Secondary WWPN

Secondary HBA( VHBA1) , Primary WWPN

Secondary HBA( VHBA1) , Secondary WWPN

All seems to work well. ( so i've been told )

The first question I have where do we change the timeout setting for the situation when a boot lun is not found.  ie if the boot process starts and Primary HBA/Primary WWPN fails to produce a viable boot device. Where can I change the timeout setting that dictates how long to try before moving onto the next WWPN in the list ?  Is this something that is configured in UCS boot policy ?

The followup question is ( this is a bit left-field ) Can you see any reason why we couldn't have WWPNs from 2 different arrays ?

Primary HBA( VHBA0) , Primary WWPN from array 1.controllerA

Primary HBA( VHBA0) , Secondary WWPN from array 2.controllerA

Secondary HBA( VHBA1) , Primary WWPN from array 1.controllerB

Secondary HBA( VHBA1) , Secondary WWPN from array 2.controllerB

So for example if array 1 was dead and the server rebooted it would timeout and boot from array 2.controller A. ( obvs providing the boot lun was presented )

also if fabric A/vHBA0 was dead it would double-timeout and boot from array 1.controllerB via vHBA1

Thanks All

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can adjust some of those settings in the BIOS policy, under boot options.

Some suggested parameters high lighted below:

bios boot options.JPG

===============================================
Please mark correctly answered posts as Solved and Helpful, so others searching for same issue can more easily find the solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card