Helpful
Replies

UCSX several hardware related questions

NeoChen722593
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I want to ask several hardware related questions:

1. Can the points in the red box below be further expanded to include the Intelligent Fabric Module, just like the two above slice

NeoChen722593_0-1718591271954.png

2. May I ask if the port on the Intelligent Fabric Module is the all port channels, and how are the available ports allocated to blade server?

NeoChen722593_1-1718591271968.png

3. How is the bandwidth allocation between LAN(eth) and SAN (vhba)on the VIC card?

NeoChen722593_2-1718591271974.png

1 Reply 1

1. Can the points in the red box below be further expanded to include the Intelligent Fabric Module, just like the two above slice

No, those slots are reserved for (optional) X-Fabric Modules
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-x-series-modular-system/datasheet-c78-2472574.html#Featuresandbenefits
"At the bottom are slots ready to house future I/O modules that can flexibly connect the compute modules with I/O devices. We call this connectivity Cisco UCS X-Fabric technology because “X” is a variable that can evolve with new technology developments."

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-x-series-modular-system/x9508-specsheet.pdf#page23
"Each X-Fabric module provides native PCIe Gen4 x16 connectivity to the X210c or X410c Compute node and the Cisco UCS X440p PCIe Node."

My assumption is that the X-Fabric module is a prerequisite for the PCI node / riser card / GPU options lower down.

2. May I ask if the port on the Intelligent Fabric Module is the all port channels

All connectivity between the IFM and FI server port is automatically configured in a single port-channel per FI.

"and how are the available ports allocated to blade server"

I recall seeing a diagram that shows this allocation, or maybe a view in UCS Manager, but was unable to find it. This is what the Backplane ports view (connectivity of FI-6536 with 100Gb IFM and 2 connections per IOM) looks like (this is on UCS Manager, I don't have an IMM domain to check, but the mapping happens in hardware, so it should be identical). 

riaanvanniekerk_0-1718707623134.png

My suspicion is that every 2nd backplane port shows as down because these blades only have a single primary VIC-15000 installed, and not the additional one in the mezzanine slot. 

3. How is the bandwidth allocation between LAN(eth) and SAN (vhba)on the VIC card?

SAN traffic is on a higher QoS so that if there is contention between FC & Ethernet, FC “wins”, because it is more time/latency sensitive. I don't have any more info on how much bandwidth would be consumed by each. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card