cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from 2.2.8i to 3.2.2d failing due to deprecated adapter hardware on Blade/C-Series. Is it possible to just upgrade UCS Manager, FI, and IOMs to 3.2?

nancyk
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded my UCS from 2.2.3g to 2.2.8i as recommended by Cisco as a requirement before going to 3.2.2d. This upgrade covered the UCS Manager, FIs, IOMs, and our Blade/C-Series servers.

However, the 3.2.2d upgrade attempt failed.

Adaptor unit Cisco Systems Inc/N20-AC0002/0 (sys/chassis-1/blade-5/adaptor-1) is either deprecated or unsupported. Please use the recommended procedures (in UCS Manager Firmware Management Guide) to remove this hardware.

The VIC cards we have on the Blades/Servers are end-of-life/end-of-support:

Cisco UCS M81KR - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/interfaces-modules/ucs-m81kr-virtual-interface-card/index.html

Cisco UCS P81E -  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/eol_c51-722151.html    

Is it possible for me to upgrade everything to 3.2 except the Blades and Servers since I won't be able to upgrade the adapters anytime soon? Does anyone know if this is an issue with 3.1 as well?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

No, it is not possible to only upgrade the UCSM/FI/IOM with unsupported hardware. The upgrade will fail.

You will either need to:

- Decom the blades with the deprecated adapters and swap for 3.X supported components

or

-Stay on 2.2 firmware.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

No, it is not possible to only upgrade the UCSM/FI/IOM with unsupported hardware. The upgrade will fail.

You will either need to:

- Decom the blades with the deprecated adapters and swap for 3.X supported components

or

-Stay on 2.2 firmware.

Thanks for the quick reply Wes. Greatly appreciate it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card