cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User Label and Description fields in service profile general tab

nikthatte
Level 1
Level 1

I have set and changed user labels and descriptions in service profiles before but never noticed anything but this time I looked at the FSM tab and saw power action events. According to the SP FSM it looked like it was rebooting the blade which doesn't make any sense. I launched KVM and confirmed the blade stayed online and pinged it as well and continued to get a response but why did it log the three power events? See below:

Check if power can be allocated to server 1
Waiting for power allocation to server 1
Power-on server sys/rack-unit-1

Cisco's documentation for the Asset Tag field says set the asset tag and manually reboot but doesn't mention anything about the User Label and Description fields. I have added and changed descriptions on multiple things in UCS and never noticed anything. Is doing this a bad idea? Will it cause the blade to reboot?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

User label definition: Service profiles now have a customer label field that is visible to the operating system or hypervisor running on the server through the SMBIOS asset tag field.

That would also likely take a reboot to push down into BIOS.

Kirk...

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The asset tag is a value that gets pushed to BIOS.

That takes a reboot to actually get applied at BIOS level.

Depending on your user-ack policy, that will require manually acknowledgement for the server in the pending activities area, or can happen immediately if user-ack is set to immediate.

The default is require manual user-ack before reboot.

Kirk...

Thanks Kirk but I didnt touch the asset tag field. I only changed the User Label and Description fields. That should not trigger or require a reboot right? 

User label definition: Service profiles now have a customer label field that is visible to the operating system or hypervisor running on the server through the SMBIOS asset tag field.

That would also likely take a reboot to push down into BIOS.

Kirk...

Oh man, that is a real shame. I didn't get any notifications from UCSM that these changes will require a reboot and there is no pending activity. Just those entries in FSM. I really cannot reboot these hosts as they don't support vmotion at this time. I think I am going to have to open a TAC case for guidance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card