cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VIC 1387 unable to change admin speed in external interfaces in cimc

smorgan_byte
Level 1
Level 1

Inherited some gear that we are trying to set up in the lab.  Consists of 2 x 6248 FIs and 4 HXAF 220C M5SX with the 1387 MLOM.   The issue we are having is getting the FIs to discovery the 4 servers.  Following the troubleshooting checklist, my thought is that we need to set the external interfaces to 4 x 10 as described below as that is the optics that are in use (QSFP-4X10G-AOC2M). 

My issue is that when I log in using admin, I am not able to change the speed or any settings, they are all greyed out and unable to be set.  I have tried with the connectors present (which it acknowledges are in) and with them removed and have the same results.  Tried factory resetting the CIMC and trying again with the same results.  Any suggestions?

Scenario 4 (Link Training)
Cisco 40Gbps VIC/MLOM (1300/1400) cards have options for speed/training.
These options are (depending on model/firmware/CIMC):
Admin Speed Link Training
40Gbps OFF
40Gbps On
4x10Gbps OFF
Auto OFF
Auto ON
If the wrong speed/training is chosen, then the links may not come up and will not get "link light."

Screenshot 2023-09-20 134829.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

TAC opened CDET CSCvq21079 saying "Hey, if 40Gbps do NOT get link. Try another setting."

Engineering duplicated that bug to an (internal) CDET to ignore link-training setting and engineering opened a third (internal) CDET to removing link training settings from the GUI/CLI. Looks like both of these (internal) CDETs were "fixed" in UCS 4.1(2a) firmware.

That was NOT TAC's intent with the original CDET. /:

Also see the VIC 1387 spec sheet has:

QSFP-4X10G-AOC2M, QSFP to 4 x SFP 10-Gbps active optical cable, 2m (1) 

(1) Break-out from VIC 1387 are supported when connecting to standalone switches and not towards Fabric Interconnects. 

I would probably suggest a QSA to connect up to a 10G UCS FI:

CVR-QSFP-SFP10G, QSFP to SFP+ adapter (QSA)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

TAC opened CDET CSCvq21079 saying "Hey, if 40Gbps do NOT get link. Try another setting."

Engineering duplicated that bug to an (internal) CDET to ignore link-training setting and engineering opened a third (internal) CDET to removing link training settings from the GUI/CLI. Looks like both of these (internal) CDETs were "fixed" in UCS 4.1(2a) firmware.

That was NOT TAC's intent with the original CDET. /:

Also see the VIC 1387 spec sheet has:

QSFP-4X10G-AOC2M, QSFP to 4 x SFP 10-Gbps active optical cable, 2m (1) 

(1) Break-out from VIC 1387 are supported when connecting to standalone switches and not towards Fabric Interconnects. 

I would probably suggest a QSA to connect up to a 10G UCS FI:

CVR-QSFP-SFP10G, QSFP to SFP+ adapter (QSA)

I will add that I did have to change the admin speed from the cimc cli.  The GUI still never let me choose.  Once I did that it immediately popped.

scope chassis > scope adapter MLOM > scope ext-eth-if 0 > set admin-speed 4x10Gbps that will convert your 40Gb ports to 4 10Gb ports.  Repeat for ext-eth-if 1.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card