cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Modify Boot Policy -How to

navinjk1974
Level 1
Level 1

Please review If i can follow the below steps.

1- Create a New Boot Policy

2- Modify the Updating Service Profile template to use the New Boot Policy.

3- With Maintainence Policy Setup to UsrAck, When I Ack and reboot a single host the new boot policy will be used & other Servers will not be affected until I Ack the event for the Server.

Please confirm if the above understanding is correct.

5 Replies 5

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

All this information is correct, except having to "ACK" the changes in UCSM. When you change the boot order, the new settings will not take effect until next reboot. Unless, you have selected "Reboot on Boot Order Change" flag in the Boot Policy.

HTH,

Wes

Thanks Wes for a response, I will be doing the following changes so do i need to select reboot on boot order change.

Currently my Esxi Hosts use Sanboot from Netapp. I would like to now setup them to boot from Hitachi Storage.

1- Create a New Boot Policy for Sanboot-Hitachi.

2- Modify the Service Profile Template(Updating) to use the New Boot Policy Sanboot-Hitachi

3- So this would enable Pending Activities with Maintainence Policy set as UsrAck

4- I would Select the host from the list and Reboot which will apply the latest change as per the Service Profile template.

With the above do i still need to select reboot on boot order change ?

Hello,

The information you listed is fine, except there is no step #3. When you change the boot order, it does not give you a pending activity.

When you modify a boot policy without "Reboot on Boot Order Change" selected, the Boot policy will be changed, but it will not take effect until the blade is rebooted.

When you modify a boot policy with "Reboot on Boot Order Change" selected, the server will reboot as soon as you change the boot order and save changes.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

-Wes

But if I have multiple hosts using the same template this change will cause all Esxi hosts to reboot correct ?

How do I manage 1 host at a time.

Regards

navin

If you would like to manage one host at a time, do not check the "Reboot on Boot Order Change" flag and make the changes to the boot policy.

Then reboot each host one at a time for the changes to take effect.

-Wes

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card