Helpful
Replies

Limit of dial-peers

jresendizz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, guys

How are you?

Just one question, im wondering if you have any Ciscos recommendation or Case Study when talks about the limit of numbers of dial-peers, i mean, what is the maximum limit of dial-peers that Cisco recommends?

Also, is there any recommendation on when prefer to use gatekeeper instead a lot of dial-peers (besides the easier admisnitration, talking about router?s resources)?

Thank you very much for your answers!

Kind Regards

Alfonso

2 Replies 2

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

use a gatekeeper when you want/need to provide call control to the gateways & resources of the VoIP network.

as far as limit on dialPeers, although there are no maximums defined, the max number of dialPeers would be restricted by the amount of memory/resources in the router.

i believe you could theoretically have any number of dialPeers as long as the platform has the resources to handle them.

dialPeers can be numbered or 'tagged' from 1 - 2147483647 so if you had enough resources you should theoretically be able to create as many. (you may never see more than a few hundred or thousand dialPeers but i've not yet seen it all; this includeds all dialPeer types, ie: voice, video, data, cor)

I believe each dial-peer takes up approximately 6k of memory. If the memory usage is above 80%, then the gateway won't let you add any further dial-peers.

HTH,

Tony