Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP Testing with Cisco Devices

bzhong1231
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a configuration in the lab right now with a non-Cisco device that can route VoIP calls.  Basically, I have two subnets such that in each subnet I have a non-Cisco device to route the phone call.  There are two phones (1 on each subnet).  The non-Cisco device act as a media gateway for the call.  Furthermore, this device can also interleave voice packets from multiple users into a single packet.  Doing so allows my system to save ALOT of bandwidth.  I am planning to do a similar test on Cisco devices (Call manager, IP phone, etc.).  So my question is, do Cisco devices have support to interleave voice packets from different users into a single packet to save bandwidth?  My company is currently performing this test to evaluate which product to be deployed on our current system.

Thanks,

Billy

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RTP multiplex is supported with recent IOS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/vcr3/r.html#GUID-52F4D0C0-3D4F-46F0-907C-6652B39EE154

Also supported on the MX8800, that is a big WAN switch.

Thanks for the reply Paolo.

Quick questions - Does the MX8800 require a Call Manager for SCCP call establishment?  Does it require a gateway for PSTN?  Also, could you briefly describe what RTP multiplexing is?

Billy

The MGX is exclusively a service provider device, not used by Enterprise customers.

RTP multiplexing, as the name says, puts media from multiple media flows inside one same packet.